Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
42 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 40

Ross, ElGroucho, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Moving Progress...
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
A snow shovel is for when you clear your roof of snow (and that's no joke, ask me how I know!), oh and I have a new word for you BigKev, it's called "lake effect snow". You will know when you'rein the middle of it

Posted on: 2016/9/16 19:36
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
you couldn't pay me enough to live where it gets that cold and snows that much. kudos to you!

Posted on: 2016/9/16 19:47
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Luckily, I will be working from my semi-subterranean home office (split level home). So won't have to shovel out the car to get to work. But more than likely will have to help Nicole shovel out her car. A Snowblower is on the list for sure.

I was born in the UK, but grew up in the High Desert of Calif where we got snow a few times a year, and then baked the rest of the year. So I like the cold and I am so done with the summer heat here.

I think my old dog (Lab mix) is the one that is going to be the most grumpy with the snow. I am sure the first time I let him out in it, he is going to be WTH.

Being in the suburbs 29 miles directly west of Chicago, it doesn't get the snow as bad as the North West Suburbs, or the Lake Effect snow that lets say South Bend gets. Wicked cold, yes, feet of snow at a time, no.

I was told I will also need to get a "real" ice scrapper. Apparently that 4" credit card size one will not do.

The garage is pretty much all packed at this point, and we are at the point where we are eating off of paper plates. Just waiting out the clock until the moving trailer is dropped off for us to load next Tuesday.

Posted on: 2016/9/19 10:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ICEY roads can be an unwelcomed, surprise sudden event.

Check with local laws about STUDDED snow tires. I have to run them here in middle tennessee area. Altho the hills make it even worse.

Tire chains ok for long term bad roads but inconvenient for surprise ice attacks that might only last 3 days.

I run the studded snows pretty much all of December thru March.

Posted on: 2016/9/19 19:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Winter and snow are fun time for me as I like cold weather just be prepared. Get metal snow shovel plastic ones do not hold up in cold weather. If you have old shovel keep it in trunk also old blanket. My snow blower is one of my favorite winter toys I even do my neighbors side walks to have clear path to take my dog for his walks. Studs are extra insurance on ice. A bag off sand comes in handy for ice better than salt on your drive way or sidewalk. I can get enough clothes on to get warm not enough off to be cool.

Posted on: 2016/9/20 8:46
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
We will be in the middle of suburbia and they have snow removal and road salting down to a science. Nicole spent her whole life there and except for the 10-year blizzard that drops 2 feet in a day, the snow and ice are pretty manageable. It just the cold. Plus working from home, I won't have to drive it that often.

Posted on: 2016/9/20 9:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just be prepared for flying fenders on the expressway.

One of the most amusing and yet terrifying sights I remember was a ride in from O'Hare. The hotel courtesy bus was making good time yet a beat up old GM product handily passed us with its right front fender flapping in the breeze. Apparently the fender had entirely rusted free from any lower fastenings and air was forcing and flexing the metal a considerable distance in just about every direction. Quite a sight for a west coast boy with sun baked upholstery being about the worst weather damage seen. With the minimal upper mount points holding a typical fender I can only think the worst and it would eventually fatigue, come loose and go sailing away to land on another car two or three back. I think the most amusing part was the driver seemed to be totally oblivious.

Posted on: 2016/9/20 9:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote from post #26 bove:
" ....middle of suburbia and they
have snow removal and road salting down to
ascience."

Bwa ha ha ha ha ha . Yeah, ok guy. LOL. LOL.

Posted on: 2016/9/20 11:03
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Snow and winter are just fun - nothing to be afraid of
Tom

Posted on: 2016/9/20 15:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
As a native Southern Californian that moved to the mid-west some 30 years ago, I found the only thing that really bothered me was the humidity. It took many years to get somewhat acclimated. Otherwise, I love the change of seasons. I don't love the salted roads but our Ford Explorer lasted 16 years before the bottom finally fell out... I can't really complain.

Posted on: 2016/9/21 8:48
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved