Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1950 Custom Eight turn signal not working.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
Hello I have running lights and brake lights but no turn signals. The flasher is good. Any suggestions?

Posted on: 2016/9/28 10:40
S&S Gas Works Garage LLC,Chester
 Top  Print 

Re: 1950 Custom Eight turn signal not working.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 23rd series 1950 should have a switch with 6 wires. Confirm that is the case by checking where the wires exit the steering column just under the dash. If so this extracted schematic of the turn signal circuit may help you troubleshoot. If for some reason your car has the older 3 wire switch then the circuit and switch is a bit different.

Basically on both types the circuit gets fused power all the time the key is on. Flasher is activated when the switch connects the ground side of flasher to ground thru the bulbs. On the 3 wire that is all there is. A second contact in the flasher works the dash indicator light(s).

On the 6 wire circuit, the switch connects both rear bulbs together all the time along with the wire coming from the brake light switch. That connection provides brake lights. When the lever is moved, one rear bulb stays connected to brakes and the rear bulb for turn direction is disconnected from brakes and connected to the flasher along with the front bulb. The flasher then starts to operate.

On this extract, the switch shown is the 51-4 version but the 50 is electrically the same -- just a slightly different construction. Base wire colors are virtually the same in all years but the dash indicator circuit differed slightly over the years. The 49-54 cars do not have the 7th wire in the plug.

One issue is with some modern replacement flashers. If you have one of those there may be an issue with the dash indicator lights not working. The flasher part of the circuit is thermal and generally works for the outside lights but the dash indicator part is sometimes run by a transistor. Some of those modern type flashers with transistors will not work on positive ground cars.

Some have experienced problems with the ground connections at the individual sockets or housings. If the flasher sees an improper resistance caused by a poor or no ground at the bulb or finds it easier to get a ground thru passing thru another bulbs filament which is connected in the circuit, that changes the overall resistance in the circuit. The flasher needs a specific resistance range and if not found will frequently fail to operate.

Attach file:

jpg  (212.45 KB)
209_57ebec643e1f4.jpg 1920X1157 px

Posted on: 2016/9/28 11:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Also are you using incandescent bulbs or LED's. LED's don't have enough current draw to work a flasher.
Wes

Posted on: 2016/9/28 12:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day GasWorksGarage,
to PackardInfo. I invite you to include your '50 Custom Eight in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 17:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
Standard bulbs.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 13:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
1st thanks for all the replies. It is a 6 wire harness. I unplugged the steering column from the wiring harness turned on the key and using a test light tested all six female plugs in the harness shouldn't there be power to at least three of them?

Posted on: 2016/9/29 13:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
Thank you for welcoming me

Posted on: 2016/9/29 13:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the loom side there should be a voltage as measured to ground on plug socket terminal #6 if the key is on, fuse or circuit breaker to flasher is good, and flasher is not burned open. Maybe 6v or maybe a bit less as there is a resistor and a coil in the flasher the voltage will feed thru. If the brake pedal is pushed there should also be 6v on #5 to ground. All the other terminals on the loom side will be at Ov because they are the feeds to the bulbs from the switch. If the parking or tail lights are on, conceivably feedback thru the filament could give a false indication of power present at those bulb terminals. Position 6 will be on one side or the other of the keyway slot and if the wire colors are not faded should be a blue wire. The brake sw wire should be green.

Have you checked the fuse going to the flasher? Typically Packard had inline fuses which are in a small metal cylindrical holder and OM says it should be somewhere near or above the ash tray. Fuse should be an SFE 9 and the holder will be a specific length so only that particular fuse will fit. Holder may have a cardboard tube slipped over it to prevent shorting to other electrical components. You should be able to measure the flasher socket or if the older type flasher with screw terminals right at the flasher to find that voltage.

Another possibility preventing flasher operation is the phenolic in the switch the contacts are mounted on has warped or a terminal is dirty and oxidized. Generally it is only a single bulb that might not light if that is the case. There are two flasher terminals on the phenolic so that should not be the issue for both sides not working but I suppose it could happen.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 13:38
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
I will try to find fuse. Here isy problem I am 5'11" 260 lbs not a lot of room under dash lol. Thanks for your input I will advise.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 14:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
Howard,

I took the seat out found 2 fuses The one behind ashtray is for the radio the one above steering column I assume is for turn signals it is a 9 and it is popped. Thanks for your help. When I go get fuse and reinstall i will update.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 14:33
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved