Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
88 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 87

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1950 Custom Eight turn signal not working.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Usually a blown fuse means you have a short some where. If that is the case look for exposed wires, and (if none) maybe after the fuse is replaced and before you reconnect the wires to the Turn Signal switch, check that the fuse still isn't blown and then start connecting wires one at a time checking that the fuse hasn't blown.
Good luck!
Wes

Posted on: 2016/9/30 8:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
I replace the fuse for the battery cable back up turn the key on tribe signals still didn't work crawl underneath they are we checked the fuses not blown it still good any suggestions?

thanks in advance

Posted on: 2016/9/30 9:18
S&S Gas Works Garage LLC,Chester
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Stupid question and please don't be offended but it has happened on similar troubleshooting problems so I have to ask -- did you remember to plug the switch back in to the loom.

If that is OK, I think you are going to have to verify the flasher is actually getting power and also if the flasher works. You said it was a good flasher. Am wondering how you verified it is good if the signals didn't work. Is it a new modern type flasher or was it taken from another car. If from another car is it the same type as the original?

Is the flasher the plug in type with 3 tab like terminals into a plastic socket or does it have exposed screws and wires. If screws, with the new fuse do you have voltage between ground and any 2 terminals of the flasher? If it is a socket do you have any voltage between pin 6 of the loom side of plug and ground?

Posted on: 2016/9/30 9:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
No such thing as a stupid question. I have no power at the moon and yes I did plug it back in I tested the Flasher by using test leads and a test light and hooking it to the battery in a test light flash it is a 3 prong type. It is so hard for me to reach anything. I have brake lights. Horn works radio works. Just no signals all gauges work as well lighter to.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 13:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
Okay I got them working finally now my problem is the indicator lights on the dash aren't working and the front right turn signal is really weak and barely comes on any thoughts? The flasher says heavy duty 6 volt flasher 535.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 14:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 535 is the flasher that has a transistor to work the indicator light. The original flashers had mechanical contacts to work both the indicator light and the actual signal lights. It was not polarity specific. Apparently the 535 comes in both positive and negative ground configurations. On those designated for negative ground the outer lights still work on our cars since that part of the flasher is thermal and has the mechanical contacts to do the work but the transistor cannot work the dash light.. You may want to find an original TungSol mechanical flasher on ebay or from a vendor or else change the transistor or get another 535 flasher with a different transistor. Here is one that says it is for positive ground.

The dim lamp issue is most likely that the ground is bad on the front right. I would remove the bolts holding the housing to the grill or fender and clean the bolts and housing where they make the connection so there is a good solid ground. If it relies on the grill for the connection, on some cars the various grill bolt locations have oxidized badly and owners have had to add separate ground wires between the lamp housing and a solid point on the fender.

If that doesn't help one other possibility is the wrong filament is being used for signals. Sometimes the sockets can wear to the point the bulb can be inserted incorrectly or some cheap Chinese bulbs have smaller pins which allow the bulb to be reversed in the larger socket slots. That places the small 3cp filament in the turn signal position. On some cars the two filament wires have been cut or repaired and then hooked up incorrectly. Once the ground is verified, you can check for an incorrect filament by turning on the parking lights. Both are supposed to use the 3 cp filament and should be equally dim. If one is reversed it will have the 21 cp filament being used for parking lights and will be quite bright compared to the other.

Here are the differences in flashers. The TungSol flasher in the photo is the older type with screw terminals used on 22nd series and earlier.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.99 KB)
209_57eec08451693.jpg 500X500 px

Posted on: 2016/9/30 14:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved