Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 151

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Torsion-Level Switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I know this was mentioned in at least one other post but now I am at my shop without power and only my iPad where I cannot locate the information to a simple question. Which direction of the under-dash switch deactivates the Torsion-Level ride? I want to attach a battery to see if the engine will crank over and do not want it to try to level while on stands!

Posted on: 2016/10/1 15:36
 Top  Print 

Re: Torsion-Level Switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it is oriented properly the switch is off with handle towards the door and on towards the center of car BUT the little bump that is supposed to keep the switch from moving is somewhat weak. It can be broken which allows the switch to rotate or be incorrectly inserted in the hole.

Posted on: 2016/10/1 15:50
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Thank you, Howard! That's the direction that I had guessed but wanted to be sure. I've owned this Clipper Custom sedan for over four decades but drove it only once and, while I'm not starting restoration yet, I may begin a blog of what I am doing.

Posted on: 2016/10/1 15:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
My mental logic is that if the switch is to the left, it is OUT, meaning out of operation. Conversely, if it is pointed IN, the TL is in operation.

Posted on: 2016/10/1 18:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
My logic exactly but I needed the confirmation that Howard so kindly - and so quickly - provided!.

Posted on: 2016/10/2 11:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As a follow-up, it does indeed crank over! There is a dried but rusty looking stain underneath on the concrete so it appears that at least one freeze plug has rusted through so I guess I'll have to pull the engine to check it out more thoroughly before attempting to start it. I see two with a lot of corrosion around them but I hope there is no block damage. Going through it (not necessarily rebuilding) needs to be done anyway as it's not been started in decades. Other than the repair of accident damage from the one and only time I drove it and had the brakes fail, this is the first I've actually worked on it!

Posted on: 2016/10/2 14:06
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pcyco13
See User information
i concur. Our '56 Patrician's torsion level is off pointing at the driver's door, on pointing to the passanger door. Off to the left, on to the right.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 9:06
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pcyco13
See User information
Brass freeze plugs are the choice when rebuilding or replacing.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 9:07
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved