Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 146

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55-56 Hose ID or Part #
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
All,

I cannot for the life of me remember or for that matter find, the specific part number for the 'hockey stick' shaped hose that goes from the heater control valve to the rear side of the block.

Yes, the 400 has sprung a leak (heater valve was new 10+ years ago) and I have coolant leaking from the unit under the dash. Also, at this writing I have cut the hose on the left and it is now off. I've tried repeatedly (no leverage and enough strength in my hands) and Im thinking that I'm going to have to remove the entire heather core box to get enough access.

Part # for the 'hockey stick' hose would be much appreciated. And tips tips on getting the hose off without cutting it will be appreciated as well.

Thanks you.

Attach file:

jpg  (194.04 KB)
20_5816657a80809.jpg 1400X2488 px

Posted on: 2016/10/30 16:28
 Top  Print 

Re: 55-56 Hose ID or Part #
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is 5/8 ID hose and I didn't find an official part number either. They seemed to list all the other heater items and forgot that molded hose. Max lists the hose but I believe his number is made up because I don't think there is a group 34. Knowing the ID and long leg distance you might find something at NAPA that can be trimmed to fit.

As to removing the hose without cutting, there is a possibility of removing the entire adapter or elbow piece from the block -- 2 bolts holding the adapter but you would need a new flat gasket when replacing back on the block. Elbow just threads into the adapter. I haven't worked in that area in years so don't remember if you can easily access it with a regular ratchet or wrench. The narrow distance to the firewall kinda cramps the style but possibly by using a Tite-Reach extension the adapter could be unbolted without much grief. Since you no longer have the Ultra the linkage portion should not be present to cause any other problems but getting all the old gasket off so the new one did not leak might be a challenge.

Fortunately the heater is relatively easy to remove on the V8s because all the work is in the engine compt. Disconnect the water hose to valve and the flapper valve wire cable. Once those are loose then remove 3 bolts and a small sheet metal screw to firewall and the assy should lift out.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.49 KB)
209_581675ea998a3.jpg 500X970 px

jpg  (51.42 KB)
209_581676742b30c.jpg 698X440 px

Posted on: 2016/10/30 17:28
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Do u absolutely positively have to keep it EOM correct???
If not i'll explain how i used just standard straight heater hose on my 56 Exec.

it's ez,cheap,simple and fast.

Posted on: 2016/10/30 19:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I posted a pic of the hose a long time ago. There is no part number but I was able to buy a hose at NAPA that had the proper right angle bend and cut it to fit the heater. I posted a pic of the hose, but that was years ago.

Posted on: 2016/10/30 19:47
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
I posted a pic of the hose a long time ago. There is no part number but I was able to buy a hose at NAPA that had the proper right angle bend and cut it to fit the heater. I posted a pic of the hose, but that was years ago.

Thanks, Randy. My feeble memory had totally forgotten you had posted a modern hose replacement. I don't remember the actual thread to link to here but did make a copy of the info at the time.

Here is Randy's replacement.

Attach file:

jpg  (53.93 KB)
209_58169a0a895b5.jpg 781X736 px

Posted on: 2016/10/30 20:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Thanks Howard - I couldn't find it, but knew I had posted it.

Posted on: 2016/10/30 22:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As of a few years back the OEM replacement hose was Good Year heater hose #63818.

Posted on: 2016/10/31 10:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
All,

I sincerely appreciate the assistance you've all provided.

Thank you.

Posted on: 2016/10/31 11:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I found it easier to remove the plate with the elbow and hose attached and then install the new hose off the car rather than trying to change the hose with the plate on the engine.

Make sure you clean the surface on the head thoroughly so the gasket will seal. I cemented the gasket to the plate and then applied a light coating of grease on the side that goes to the head. This way I could move the plate around a bit to get the bolt holes to line up without hurting the gasket. Also, the next time it has to come off it will come off cleanly.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/10/31 12:07
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
All,

Here are some crossover part numbers for hose(s) that have been previously discussed in this thread. They are very common hoses with many domestic and foreign applications per the parts house. Trimming to correct size obviously goes without saying. Brand is Dayco.

Attach file:

jpg  (231.50 KB)
20_581945db26ba5.jpg 1920X1081 px

jpg  (204.74 KB)
20_581945e62c13b.jpg 1920X1081 px

jpg  (214.44 KB)
20_581945f8b3297.jpg 1920X1081 px

Posted on: 2016/11/1 20:49
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved