Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
181 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 177

29tons, 37Blanche, Alvin14, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1939 Super Eight heater
Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
I started going thru the 1939 Super eight today. 1st the heater water lines are not connected and I can find were they would hook to the engine? I also can't find any heater controls. I have attached a picture of the heater.

Attach file:

jpg  (152.41 KB)
141256_5820b00321221.jpg 1080X1920 px

Posted on: 2016/11/7 11:47
S&S Gas Works Garage LLC,Chester
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 Super Eight heater
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As I understand it there were basically 3 switch control/configurations for prewar heaters. Different switches depending on heater installed. As the second illustration shows, on some models the switch was vertically mounted in the edge under the dash with just a knob showing. On other models the switches were mounted in a plastic cover under the dash edge with the knob facing the interior. I believe those were primarily the 40-42 models and were styles shown in the illustration. There is an additional type I have seen for the reversing switch similar to the upper illustration but I have no photos. Someone else might know which style was specific to a year or heater. Since dealers installed heaters, if he had one on the shelf with a switch that was for a later year nothing would prevent the dealer from installing it in an earlier car if the customer wanted it.

If the deluxe heater/defroster was installed the switch was the reversing type. If a separate heater and defroster was installed then the switch was non reversing and could be a simple on off or a rheostat or the discreet two or three speed type.

Here is an illustration showing some of the plastic covers and another showing a typical heater installation. If the car never had a heater installed there were plugs that had to be removed from the head and the water pump to install the fittings for water hoses. The head is the hot water out to heater port and typically had a valve at that location so water could be turned off in summer. I believe (at least after the mid 30s) the fittings were for 3/8 pipe x 5/8 hose.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.74 KB)
209_5820b560bb7b1.jpg 406X478 px

jpg  (249.77 KB)
209_5820b5705edc2.jpg 1425X1920 px

Posted on: 2016/11/7 12:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
It appears to be a heater defroster like the one on our 6.

But no place on dash fro the defrost to blow out.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 13:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The defrosters were an option so the inner duct adapter pieces or connections may not be present. Earlier models had the outlet on the dash but on most of the later models the defrost air is fed to a couple of adapters which screw to the underside of a metal channel under the windshield. Air comes out the gap between the garnish molding and the glass.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 14:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
Thanks this diagram is helpful. I do have the 2 switches shown. But no place to attach hoses to the engine.

Posted on: 2016/11/8 10:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You should have some pipe plugs in the head and waterpump. Head location is on top about 2/3 of the way back and off center toward the manifold side. They may be regular pipe plugs with the square head or may be sort of flush and have a socket for an allen wrench. IF plugs are original and have never been out they have probably rusted so it may be a real project to remove them.

Once removed, you are going to have to find a valve for the head and a nipple for the water pump. Universal shut off valves are available thru most parts stores. Not sure about the nipples. Should be 3/8 NPT thread into the head and pump with 5/8 hose fitting but you do need to verify your thread size.

The Universal valves are short with the hose coming straight out the side compared to the originals. You may also need to get a male to female 3/8 pipe extension to raise the valve a couple of inches so the hose will be sufficiently above the manifold. Some have said a valve more looking like the originals can still be found at some plumbing supply places.

Posted on: 2016/11/8 11:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
thanks to your diagram I have the blower working properly with the switch's. One of the previous owners used the live wire to power after market turn signals. It was a mess.
I will recheck the engine for the outlets you are talking about. Thanks again for all your help!

Posted on: 2016/11/8 11:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
ok I think I found what you are talking about see below

Attach file:

jpg  (133.97 KB)
141256_582201f657e79.jpg 1152X2048 px

jpg  (122.28 KB)
141256_5822021d431b7.jpg 1152X2048 px

Posted on: 2016/11/8 11:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That looks like the connections but it would be better if someone more familiar with a 39 verifies it. If you are trying to look as stock as possible I believe you will also need to find or fabricate the metal return side pipe running down the center of engine. That is held off the head by a couple of brackets under the head bolts. McMaster has bendable 5/8 steel tubing in 3' lengths.

Here are a couple of illustrations of some of the tubing shapes used on earlier engines. Cannot say for sure but I suspect the same shapes and lengths of tubing was used on the 39.

Attach file:

jpg  (53.16 KB)
209_58220794e61ba.jpg 1028X1066 px

jpg  (98.01 KB)
209_58220e11ac2d1.jpg 672X1226 px

Posted on: 2016/11/8 12:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved