Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Considering purchasing 1941 110 Deluxe...Advice?
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:
See also the 1941 Dealer Information booklet that can be found on this site. It shows colored steering wheels as an option for the 110 Deluxe models. Lots of other good information as well.

That's next on my list to look through. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Normally the steering wheel column and emergency brake were painted a dark tan color - in this car they are painted the same color as the instrument panel. Maybe that is the way it is supposed to be for Multi-Tone Cars. I could not verify that reading the Data Book. Others may know.

Looking through the 1941 110 and 120 Brochure (https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?359), there are several pictures of interiors the same color as the car above (though on 120's). On page 13 there is a picture showing that the steering column and parking brake are painted the same color as the rest of the interior.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2016/12/4 17:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Kevin, whatever I say is related to the question of yours that revolved around the original condition. Don't get me wrong. What you've found looks like a good Packard!

Quote:
... A couple of them were so vulcanized that they looked as if they had been set on fire...

Yes, suitable description.

In terms of the color combination of the whole interior ensemble I can't confirm the mentioned concerns. As far as I can see the reverse is true. None of the usual sins like chromed steering column housing, wood grained panels, chromed clock frame, deviating speedocolor, deviating clockcolor, wrong two step switch for the wiper etc.

But again, do we see the interior of a car built before the war? How about the seat covers? They tend to rip along the transition between different fabrics. Are they threadbare, worn out, dirty at least after more than seven decades? It seems to me that we see the bow-tout skin of a young girl without all the signs of a honorably aged lady. 75 summers without ice cream, drinks and butterscotch, no dog nor cat, never the dirty trousers of a motor mechanic and 75 winters without sharp belt buckle of a stylish coat, never broken down without washing facility, never a dirty bag, never an open window in a dusty area, never a child with chocolate mouth, mud-caked gumboots and noosebleed?
Tell me that the car was in a museum for 60 years to change my opinion.

Attach file:

jpg  (243.04 KB)
757_584531b75fe61.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2016/12/5 3:48
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
@guscha: that seat looks awesome for being 68 decades.
You found the oldest Packard

Posted on: 2016/12/5 6:51
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
From all signs I see, the car seems to be wonderfully preserved and cared for. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. From the photos, there are no signs that it has been restored, everything seems original and goes together.

Paint so nice, garaged; interior not sun faded, garaged; dash plastic condition, garaged.

If someone was going to spend considerable $$ to reupholster the seats I would think they would also do the carpets.

I've owned cars like this that were owned by the proverbial "little old lady" weighing 100 lbs and men who weighed 230, vast difference in condition of front seat.

Buy it before you have time to regret losing it.

Posted on: 2016/12/5 7:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Fred is right, this '41 110 Deluxe shows all the signs of being a exceptionally well-preserved example, they do appear occasionally.

AACA has the HPOF judging class for such cars: Historic Preservation of Original Features. At Hershey, cars in this class show amazing degrees of long-term care and preservation.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/12/5 8:46
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Kevin:

My comment about The Data Book citing the chrome front and rear window frames would mean the interior frames. But, that citation about the window frames may go out the window (along with the tan steering column and hand brake) as this car has the Multi-Tone interior. I have not seen a lot of these as they are quite rare. And are most likely correct.

As Fred said, "...everything seems original and goes together. Looking at the speedo photo again; who would repaint the steering column green and then reinstall that wrinkled up rubber gasket at the base of the column? Answer: nobody - that probably was done on E. Grand Blvd.

You mention seeing "pictures" in the Salesmen Book. What you are looking at are images or concept drawings from a skilled artist. You cannot always rely on them. Notice that every car shown has headlamp rings that are painted. Well, that never made it into mass production as the headlamp rings are actually chromed, as shown in your photos.

Posted on: 2016/12/5 9:06
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
@guscha: that seat looks awesome for being 68 decades.
You found the oldest Packard

BDC, thanks.

Quote:
...Paint so nice, garaged; interior not sun faded, garaged; dash plastic condition, garaged...

Mileage: 23,000, garaged.

Quote:
...I've owned cars like this that were owned by the proverbial "little old lady" weighing 100 lbs and men who weighed 230, vast difference in condition of front seat...

Yes Fred, of course. You have owned a car which was 75 years long owned by an old lady. There are woman who age prematurely.

Posted on: 2016/12/5 15:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Guscha - Thanks again for the input. The seats (all of them) felt very stout and springy, but I'm also not sure of how much any of them have been used.

Fred and Steve - Thanks for the input. Now that I know what more to look for I may may another trip down and look things over more carefully and get better pictures. It's possible that it may be original, particularly if the mileage is correct. I know the gentleman that owns it now has kept it in a windowless garage the entire time he's owned it, removing it for short drives and exercise every once in a while. Beyond that I don't know. You both have me really considering jumping on this car.

Roger - Yes, those images in the sales brochure were artist's renderings, so they may or may not be accurate.

I have attached a few other images that may be helpful. Hopefully these ones you can blow up and see things better.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  (107.26 KB)
1059_5845e589be9dc.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (270.82 KB)
1059_5845e5c6e1fa0.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (88.00 KB)
1059_5845e5dc2681c.jpg 1280X814 px

Posted on: 2016/12/5 17:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Kevin, thanks for the additional and larger pictures. Follow the -> link to see another photographs, now without time stamp but with "naked" steering wheel. The shown price should be a typo.

Posted on: 2016/12/5 17:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Kevin, bad news. Follow this -> link to find out that the quotation dates from 2014 (or older). The same goes for pic #1. Very sorry to behave like a spoilsport.

Posted on: 2016/12/5 17:56
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved