Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1939 Ignition switch removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
Has anyone ever remove an ignition switch? 39 Super 8

Attach file:

jpg  (215.97 KB)
141256_582225d94e381.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2016/11/8 14:22
S&S Gas Works Garage LLC,Chester
 Top  Print 

Re: 1939 Ignition switch removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
two screws or nuts on backside to dash (I forget which, look with a mirror), two electrical connections and a whole lot of fussing to get it out...

Posted on: 2016/11/8 16:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
What about removing the light switch?

Posted on: 2016/11/9 10:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The knob and shaft are one piece. Pull the knob out and unscrew the bezel "A" in the illustration. On some models there may be a chrome cap over the nut similar to that used on the radio gland nuts. If your bezel has a slot on either side of the shaft it is probably a one piece item with no cap. The slots were for a tool to unscrew the bezel.

Once the bezel is unscrewed hold the switch and manipulate the knob shaft and switch so the bent portion of shaft comes out of the hole in the switch portion at "B". There is a small flat steel spring which helps keep the shaft in the hole. When the shaft is free the switch will be able to be removed from the back of dash.

This illustration is showing the addition of a spacer which on some models had to be added by the dealer. If your car has one be sure to watch out for it.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.76 KB)
209_58236b43c88e1.jpg 1092X530 px

Posted on: 2016/11/9 13:26
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
Thanks for the info HH56,

is there a trick to getting it back in? I have been fighting putting the rod back into the switch.

Posted on: 2016/12/6 14:51
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure which switch you have exactly as there were two or three versions used from 35-42. The knob shaft retention is about the same for all though. Here is an illustration of one version with a good depiction of how the shaft fits in the switch mechanism. Note the slightly angled metal on top of the switch shaft which forms a second layer.

To install, you should be able to put the shaft in the dash hole and push it all the way in. Without the bezel being tightened it should be fairly loose and maneuverable. Tilt both the switch and shaft until the portion of shaft going into the switch lines up. Because of the two layers, the holes in the switch for the shaft will be a bit offset when viewed straight on making it appear the hole is slightly small. The top layer is a spring steel like material which has to be compressed slightly to lay the two layers and holes directly over one another and open the hole up. The shaft is inserted in the hole and then the spring steel upper layer is released so the offset will be back and capture the shaft so it won't work out of the hole.

Attach file:

jpg  (106.17 KB)
209_5847230b1adbd.jpg 1030X1076 px

Posted on: 2016/12/6 15:43
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
My 39 120 had a similar switch pictured in the above post - it was fairly easy to put back in as long as you remove the front seat cushion and lay on the floor/seats. And can hold a flashlight in your teeth.....

Posted on: 2016/12/6 20:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
I have the 1st one. Mine doesn't have a screw holding the rod. But I think I have to go thru the spring and the slide on the switch at the same time?

Posted on: 2016/12/7 9:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chester Sams
See User information
Guess I wasn't holding my tongue right. I got it in LOL

Posted on: 2016/12/7 11:09
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved