Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 110

Joe, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

spark plug wire sets for 1952
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
hello,
does any one know of a vendor that stocks ready made, good quality spark plug wire sets for 1952?

I have a feeling they do not exist. I have a hard time with the boots and clips etc. I am always afraid I do not have good connections.......
thanks
tim

Posted on: 2017/2/6 21:13
 Top  Print   

Re: spark plug wire sets for 1952
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Dwight Heinmuller sells completely made sets with terminals and boots already installed (if the plug end boot was originally called for). They are not the original lacquered fabric type cable some cars used but rather modern rubber cable. I believe he may be the only vendor selling sets already made up at both ends and the sets are priced accordingly.http://www.packardparts.org/products/packard-parts The listing for the plug wires is about in the middle of the parts page.

I bought a set for the 47 and while there was an issue with the cable for the firewall mounted coil used on Clippers being too short, they appear to be quality sets. The set he sent for the 47 would have fit the later cars with coils near the distributor but I used it anyway and just remade the one cable.

Posted on: 2017/2/6 21:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
To the best of my knowledge cloth covered lacquered ignition wires were last used in 1952, after that they were modern rubber. I have verified this in the parts book, part #394497 used on all 8's 48-52 except Custom 8's. They do not use spark plug boots.

Posted on: 2017/2/6 21:50
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jack klat
See User information
I just went through all of this with my '51 Henney. I wound up buying a spool of copper core wire, terminal ends and boots, and a good quality spark plug wire crimper, and made my own. The largest investment was the wire crimper itself. I was very satisfied with the result.

Posted on: 2017/2/6 21:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Was just thinking today about new spark plug cables for my 1952 Mayfair,288. Many years made my own, but would prefer pre made, easier on me. Since the wires need to go through rubber separators, need one end of the cable cup to come off, so I can slide wire through the round holes in the separator.
If the made up wires do not have one removable boot, then need a source for wire, spark plug cups, distributor cups, and the brass connectors. Crimps I already have. But, would prefer to have them already made up with one cup being able to come off. Please give me the usual suspects where to purchase.
Thanks Todd
Kanter always seems to support us so he would be my first choice if they can assist.

Posted on: 2017/2/6 23:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am curious about your rubber block. The 47 block has slits along the length of all the holes. You can just bend the block to open the slit and lay the wire in. When the block is back in the metal cover all wires are held snugly. Have you closely examined your block for any slits? If you do have a solid block and need to push the wires thru Max (and probably Kanter too) has wires with one end unfinished.

Posted on: 2017/2/6 23:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
All years that use the rubber block in the coil holder (I think 48-54) use the same block. It has slits in it, impossible to push wires through.

Posted on: 2017/2/7 0:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Look at the two pictures, this is what Fred Mauck, or Bill Lauer used on the car many years ago. They feel more like bakelite. I can swap out for a more modern version, unless these were original to car?

Attach file:

jpg  (180.15 KB)
733_5899c08f1719b.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  (149.96 KB)
733_5899c0aae4463.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2017/2/7 7:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning all...I'm sure that Kantar would solder the ends for you and give you a complete set ready to install. There will most likely be an extra labor charge. I just purchased a set from Max and that is what they did. For some reason, I started with Max years ago and so I have stayed with them. I would bet that most of our suppliers would do anything reasonable for us if we ask and are willing to pay for any extra labor...Ernie

Posted on: 2017/2/7 10:26
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
thanks for the good advice.
and tolandis the wire keeper that you say is like bakelite on my car is rubber. it is hard and almost brittle because of the age I suspect. On the one pic u posted if you look close on the top left row of holes with the wire coming through you can see where the top of the circle is split. it is that way so when you remove the coil etc the rubber keeper is free and you will be able to separate carefully and remove the wire without removing the wire boot and connector. I hope this helps.
tim

Posted on: 2017/2/7 15:46
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved