Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 152

BigKev, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: spark plug wire sets for 1952
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
No we don't solder spark plug wire ends on request. I doubt there's a car on the road made since 1950 that had soldered ends. For a start it's not necessary, either they're made by stripping 1/2" and folding the wire back then crimping on a terminal or an end is put on with a spike that penetrates the rubber or on the dist end a terminal with a spike going into the center of the wire or a clip is inserted in to the end then a terminal is crimped on.

The methods above were more efficient to make than soldering and give just as good performance

Much ado about nothing.

Posted on: 2017/2/7 16:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
I have made my own spark plug wires in the past. But it has been many years. Is wire, ends and boots still available? I can purchase a set of pre made wires from you, Kanter, I don't mind. But will need some new wire separators as pictured in the post. Was the gas tank for 40 supers ever started by Kanter?

Posted on: 2017/2/7 17:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Our wire sets are universal, spark plug ends are affixed, you cut to length , put on distrib boot and affix contact.

The separators are simple to install afterwards as they have slits, we do not sell them

Posted on: 2017/2/7 18:18
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Steele has a 4 hole separator listed for Cadillac. If you want to check it out go to his site and do a search for spark plug wire spacer. The Cad item appears to be thicker than the one on your car. The Packard listing has a 3 hole but no four holes. Interestingly, the Cad 4 hole is cheaper than the 3 hole.

The Cad item has a groove on the end like it might fit in some kind of holder and I think it might be stronger than what Packard used or at least what he sells for Packard. I bought the 3 hole early in the 47 restoration and it is comparatively thin and weak. Without going out and looking again, think one of the holes has already cracked and split.

Posted on: 2017/2/7 18:43
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I made a set of wires for my '48 288 from 'stuff' I bought from www.Brillman.com. The wire is fabric covered with a gloss black finish. Straight ends . . . no boots at the plugs, but with boots at the distributor. Fred is quite right, soldering is not needed. Consider the radio suppressed ignition wires, with a carbon impregnated synthetic core. The core is folded over the outer insulation and the terminal end wraps around holding the core sandwiched between the terminal and the wire diameter. That technique works just fine with metal core wires . . . which by the way are not always copper.
With respect to the wire separators; mine were also some type of Kryptonite and broke as soon as I tried to remove the old ignition wires. I used a strip of 1/8 rubber to come-up with a replacement. I went over the deep end and made some 4, 3, and 2 hole versions, which are clearly not original.
With respect to the 8 hole wire separator that is directly under the coil. Treat that piece with some care . . . a 'new' replacement is worth more than a wire set. The separator in my '54 was still elastic and could be deflected enough to install the wires. On the other hand my '48 separator was again some derivative of Kryptonite, so I opened the separator with a putty knife just enough to slip the wire through the hole. The distributor end of each wire was made with the wire installed in the car.
My '48 has an Autolite distributor which physically rotates when the vacuum advance comes into play. I made sure I didn't create a 'banjo string' situation between the distributor cap and the 8 hole separator under the coil. I also tried to route the wires such that no wire crossed over another at the distributor end . . . I've never been able to tell if that's the way they left the factory, but plates 84 & 87 suggest that the pace of the production line did not lend itself to paying that close attention to something that picayune.
I would encourage Tim49 to make an ignition wire set himself . . . just mind your P&Qs with respect to the firing order . . . and cover the fender, you'll be leaning-in for an hour or so.
dp

Attach file:

jpg  (303.44 KB)
34287_589ca4738eb0b.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (226.72 KB)
34287_589ca47ee94bf.jpg 1536X2048 px

Posted on: 2017/2/9 12:20
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
David's picture above is correct for 1952. No boots on the spark plug ends.

Posted on: 2017/2/9 12:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just to be a bit more specific as to Big Kev's comment, no "molded on" boots as an integral part of the plug wire, but slip-on boots were available as Packard Accessory PA403995 and listed for use thru the 25th Series.

Posted on: 2017/2/9 13:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Thank you all, got it. Thanks for the pictures.

Posted on: 2017/2/9 17:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
thank you so much for the pictures and great advice.
I never noticed the spark plug end in the first pic. I always assumed that the plug ends always had a boot.
thanks

Posted on: 2017/2/11 4:34
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

CavalierRebel
See User information
What's the proper way to install the wires in the 8 wire separator, 1-4 to the left and 5-8 to the right, or 1-4 on the top and 5-8 on the bottom?

Posted on: 2017/3/7 16:28
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved