Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 112

Todd W. White, 53 Cavalier, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Radio Delete
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
I was just perusing eBay and noticed a ad for a 1955 Clipper sedan being parted out. Interesting photo of a pretty decent looking dashboard caught my eye. Car came equipped with automatic transmission and clock, but no radio. Has the radio delete panel in place. I don't remember coming by a Packard or Clipper without a radio. Could be since the car is in Iowa there may have been a lack of a strong radio signal where the car was sold?
Or the original purchaser didn't want a radio sorta like my Dad who always had radio delete, just a distraction he would say.

Posted on: 2017/2/16 19:49
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print   

Re: Radio Delete
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...1955...in Iowa there may have been a lack of a strong radio signal..

"Iowa's first radio station, WSUI, began operating at the University of Iowa in 1919. Station WOC in Davenport became the earliest commercial station in the state -> in 1922. Ronald Reagan got his first broadcasting job at WOC as a sportscaster -> in 1933.
The -> Golden Age of Radio, was an era of radio programming in the United States during which radio was the dominant electronic home entertainment medium. It began with the beginning of radio broadcasting in the early 1920s and lasted until the 1950s, when television superseded Radio.
WOC-TV, the first television station in Iowa, began broadcasting on -> October 31, 1949."

sources
#1 - www.nrcdxas.org
#2 - www.qcmemory.org
#3 - wikipedia
#4 - wikipedia

Posted on: 2017/2/16 20:21
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
My 1950 Eight sedan was also delivered in Iowa and shows no sign of ever having a radio. No fender or roof accommodations for an antenna and the delete plate is nicely intact. The previous owner supplied a refurbished/rebuilt Packard/Philco radio that really looks good in the shipping box.

My concern is that I don't want to disturb any fragile wiring, although removing the heater/vent control unit looks simple enough with only one easily disconnected wire going to the glove box lamp in the way. My problem is, even with the controls tucked out of the way, how in the world does that thick radio/speaker unit get up through the available space. Must the fiber heater plenum box connector have to be removed before and after installation to get the darned thing through? I'd also be wary of trying to move the lighter, lights and blower switch bar, given the age of the wires and connections.

Given the possibility of damaging something under the dash, I may be satisfied to leave the new radio unit in its box in the trunk, rather than trying to install it. After all, how much is there to listen to on today's AM radio? Even if I don't live in Iowa.

Posted on: 2017/2/16 20:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
I guess it would've been the original purchasers choice by cost or preference.
As I said previously, my Dad never opted for a radio in nearly every new car he purchased. His last new car was a 1967 Chevrolet and that's the only one that had a radio. He bought that car off the lot and radio was already installed from the factory. I guess he could've made the dealer take the radio out but,as the Chevy dealer was one of his pals, I guess he didn't want to be a PIA.
I to would leave the radio in the box rather than risk messing up something under the dash.
Don't want to let that smoke out of those wires!

Posted on: 2017/2/17 15:42
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved