Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 116

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Removing 1951 dashboard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Going to re-do the entire dash on my '51. Wiring, paint, etc. What are the tricks to removing the entire dashboard? Is it just bolted in, or are some areas welded?

Posted on: 2017/3/20 22:13
 Top  Print 

Re: Removing 1951 dashboard
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just bolted. Under the windshield garnish molding is a row of screws across the top of the dash. There is a bolt into the door jamb at either side on the bottom under the kickpanels. A couple of bolts holding the steering column goes thru the dash edge into a support brace. Any other items (emergency brake, Bowden cables etc) that might be fastened on the bottom or between the dash and other components should be obvious but if you are leaving the radio in there may be a support strap on the back of the radio connecting to the firewall which may not be too visible.

Dash is bulky and heavy so a helper is nice to have. Because of the awkwardness and having to maneuver around, it might help if the steering wheel is removed but not totally necessary. It would be a good idea to protect the column so nothing gets scratched.

Posted on: 2017/3/20 23:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Thanks. When I look underneath, it's just a tangle of wires and such. Hard to tell where to get started. I didn't want to just start yanking things out without a game plan.

Posted on: 2017/3/21 8:16
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Remove the gauge cluster and tag the wiring there, it will make it easier. Also, remove the radio and the vent levers. Once the radio is removed, you can reach the screws/bolts that hold the vent levers in from the back. Tight fit, but not too hard and easier that disconnecting the cabling.

Then the dash will come out pretty easy. Bolts across the top under the inside window trim, and a bolt in each corner. Also, two bolts where it attaches to the steering column.

If the cluster and radio are removed, then it's not too heavy as it's just a piece of stamped sheet metal. Take a look at my project blog. I had my dash out at least twice.

Posted on: 2017/3/21 9:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved