Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Re: My golden anniversary
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Good catch Howard, I was going to comment on how good the wires look. What I see and work on always looks like a basket case.
Wes

Posted on: 2017/4/3 9:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Tobs, I like the Bosch hazard switch setup linked to in your other thread but have a couple of questions -- most likely due to me not being very familiar with European standards and nomenclature.

Do you have a number for the switch so I can see if it is available here? Is it just a switch with a lighted knob or is there other built in circuitry? If lighted or other circuitry, I assume it is LED and solid state so cannot work on cars with 6v or those with positive grounds or if just a switch, does it have a regular incandescent bulb?

On the circuit drawing are the numbers all DIN standard? If so, I don't see 54 listed on the 2003 chart I have so is that a function of the Bosch switch only or is my chart incomplete or out of date?

Is the box and wiring into it at the top of your drawing the stock turn signal switch? If so that would seem to indicate the Bosch part is just spliced in with a minor rerouting. Is the flasher shown an extra only for the hazard function or is it the original? If original what did you use to replace the thermal type which is generally very load sensitive and unable to properly operate all bulbs at once.

Are the items 15 a DIN designation meaning power is from original wiring (not shown on the drawing) and the line connecting them means they both come from that switched supply or is it a tie point and the power to the flasher is coming from the other direction or thru the BLS which I assume stands for brake light switch?

Posted on: 2017/4/3 11:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Elefant
See User information
Thank you, Howard, for saving my golden elefant from burning down!

Tobs, I used this BOSCH switch on my 69 Jensen and it was rather easy to install, but with positive earth and 6V I?m thinking about this (sorry friends, link is in German, if someone is interested, I?ll try to translate, they do also offer some cloth-covered wire for the repairs neccessary in the engine bay)

http://www.kabel-schmidt.de/KFZ-Elektrik-und-Zubehoer-kabelschmidt/Blink-Warnblinkgeber-Relais-und-Schalter/Kombinierte-Blink-Warnblinkanlage/KM-Blink-Warnblinkanlage-6-Volt-fuer-an-Masse.html

Attach file:

jpg  (271.07 KB)
151586_58e2b67581429.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/4/3 15:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That green wire connected directly to the battery and appears to be going inside thru the hood release opening doesn't look very safe either. The release bar is missing the rubber seal so there is a tiny bit of space between the washer and firewall when the latch is closed but the wire could still get pinched and short out. The marks on the insulation looks like it may be a bit tight for space.

Posted on: 2017/4/3 16:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Those wires going to your voltage regulator do need to be replaced. Maybe you can cut the tape back and see if the wires are in any better shape then splice new wires in and tape it back up.
Wes

Posted on: 2017/4/3 20:02
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Elefant
See User information
yes, ofcourse the green cable is on my watch list, was not the best idea of the p.o. to miss the cable port beneath it. I think I will have to change all the end-pieces facing out of the tape (starter, generator, horn....). I?ll try to find matching colours as discribed in the wiring diagram.

Which colour did the high-voltage ignition cables have? where they rubber or cloth covered, which connectors where used?

thank you for preserving the originality
Michael

Posted on: 2017/4/4 0:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
Howard, lots of questions! Lets see what I can answer:
Here is a link to the Bosch site. They list a 6V unit. I think it has an internal blinker relay built into the switch that has a set blink timing and is not sensitive to a few watts +/- like the thermal blinkers we usually use in our cars. I don't know if the unit is ok for positive ground, but have a contact I can ask.
Bosch Classic Flasher Switch

The 12v one I installed (not in my car) was an incandescant bulb, and not LED.
54 should be BLS -Brake Light Switch

Note, the hand drawn diagram was from my car where I installed a double pole single throw switch and not the Bosch unit. The colorful computer generated diagram is for the bosch unit, but a picture I got of the internet someplace. Both units are pretty easy to splice into the existing wiring, and I think you can make all or most of the connections at the round connector on the steering column.

Edit: regarding 15 and 54 and 54f. 15 is just power that is switched on with ignition. and with 54 and 54f, you attach the output of the BLS to 54, and then 54f to the other side of where you broke the wire coming from your bls. It's been years since I installed this, I hope that makes sense.

Second Edit: I got feedback from a contact at Bosch Aftermarket, and even the 6V switch cannot be used with positive ground! Sorry, this is not an option for the golden anniversary.

Posted on: 2017/4/4 5:31
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
With respect to the spark plug wire question, see thread titled "Spark Plug Wire Sets for 1952", posted by Tim49 on 06Feb17.

Posted on: 2017/4/4 9:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"....see thread titled "Spark Plug Wire Sets for 1952", posted by Tim49 on 06Feb17"

This one.

Posted on: 2017/4/4 15:19
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Michael, I was just going other some old posts and saw where someone used Liquid Tape on their bare wires. I was thinking maybe Heat Shrink Tubing might also work on those bare wires going to the Voltage Reg.
Just a thought.
Wes

Posted on: 2017/4/6 20:02
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved