Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Hard starting when Hot
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ernie, not a factory option or accessory, just an "improvement" some owners chose to incorporate.

Posted on: 2017/4/11 10:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I installed a starter button in my 47 Custom. I simply took the wiring that went to the carburetor switch and connected it to the starter button mounted on the lower edge of the instrument panel. Reason for the starter button was to provide for more flexibility in starting the engine with an independent accelerator pedal. It worked fine. No permanent changes were made. The next owner could easily reconnect the carburetor switch because I kept the wiring with its original terminals and length. JWL

Posted on: 2017/4/11 10:10
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
The switch I installed on my '48 was wired 'in parallel' with the carburetor, that is, four wires are connected to the carburetor . . . two that came with the car, and two routed to a SPST switch. I effectively have a logical OR . . . I can start the car with the carburetor switch, OR the auxiliary switch. I must admit my preference is the auxiliary switch. I have a problem with the idea of starting a cold engine with the throttle nearly full open. If I encounter a difficulty while attempting a hot start I revert to the carburetor method.

My dad taught me to pump the accelerator twice ( to prime and set the automatic choke ), initiate a cold start, and slowly feed a slight amount of throttle. That process seemed to work on all of the carburetor equipped cars and motorcycles I have owned over the years. However I have owned three vehicles that nether didn't have an accelerator pump . . . that's a Model A, or needed a good amount of vacuum to fill the float chamber . . . those were Harleys. The last two were pips to start, especially the one that was kick start only.

I do remember a '56 Buick Special that my family owned, and I believe that was a 'gas pedal start' design. That too was a difficult engine to start hot . . . cranking speed OK yet had to crank a longer than normal time to start.

I've seen Ernie's car start instantly . . . it is clearly a goal my car has yet to achieve. I question I would like to ask is; 'Was there a different procedure used to start an engine equipped with the carburetor switch'?

By the way the Model A is an updraft design hence an accelerator pump is of little value. That car is easily started with ? throttle, full choke (manual), and initiate the start. Within the first second the choke is returned to full open, the engine fires, and you better be quick in returning the throttle to high idle ( all of this throttle movement is controlled with the hand throttle lever on the steering column ).

I'm wondering if the '48 Packard design would start just as easily if the priming step is not conducted, and a tad more choke . . . let the engine vacuum draw fuel from the main jet. If a car is adjusted to minimize the amount of priming required then perhaps unloading the choke on hot starts may be a necessary trade-off.

dp

Posted on: 2017/4/11 10:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Hard start when hot:

If the carb is hot enuf to boil the gas out of the carb bowl then the rest of the engine is hot enuf to boil any gas that might be forced over into the intake manifold. "Flooded" but only maybe for a few seconds.

I have hard start when hot too on my 56 Exec.. Somtimes it will start by holding gas pedal to floor (but still a bit slow). Other times with no attempt to hold gas pedal to the floor it will still be difficult to start. No ryme or reason to it.

Summers comming so i will carry a lighter fluid can full of gas to squirt down the carb if the problem gets bad enuf.

Bottom line:
If carb is hot enuf to boil out the fuel then the rest of the engine is even hotter yet to boil out any fuel overflowed into the engine during intitial perulation. No fuel.

So constant cranking of the engine is needed to pump the carb bowl full again.

Posted on: 2017/4/11 11:38
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
As for the auxillary start button:

The carb mount starter switch is probably about as inconvenient as the modern day clutch pedal saftey switchs. Clutch must be depressed before starter will engage.

I have 2 off road service trucks, one with no doors nor windows nor windshield . Quite often need to start engine by simply reaching over the hood of the truck or across the passenger side to start it. The clutch safty switch is disabled.

SO those that converted to auxxillary switch probably did so for some similar convenience.

Posted on: 2017/4/11 11:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Carter WGD 767S
Just popping in
Just popping in

Tim
See User information
Always looking for more info about my 1951 Packard 300, so when looking up the Carter WGD 767S I found that the 1955 Pontiac Safari used what was almost exactly the same unit with different ID numbers. It is more detailed than some sights and may be helpful when rebuilding or adjusting. Here is the site:
http://www.pontiacsafari.com/55/ShopManual/6B%20-%20Engine%20Fuel.pdf

Posted on: 2017/4/12 11:16
 Top  Print 

Re: Carter WGD 767S
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
That is the most comprehensive service info I have ever seen for a particular carburetor. Very useful, thanks.

Posted on: 2017/4/12 12:23
 Top  Print 

Re: Carter WGD 767S
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
HH posted this in another thread, but the very last thing for sale on the page reminded me of this thread. may or may not help, just thought i'd mention it.

http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/electrical_parts.php

Posted on: 2017/4/12 13:45
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

willits18
See User information
I haven't had this on my Packard. I ran into this on several other vehicles. On Ford trucks we would replace all of the ground cables and clean the connection spots on the chassis and frame. Worked every time on Fords. On Mopars we would check the timing. They will run great with lots of power. When you turn them off sometimes they will not start until they are cooled off-especially in the warmer weather. Just a couple of ideas.

Posted on: 2017/4/24 20:35
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved