Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 105

Packard Don, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Men bet their lives on it - the Packard-built Merlin V-12
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Roger, thanks for the suggestion to look in Neal's book for the answer to my question. I believe the answer is on page 175.

"This was but the beginning of a monumental task of redesigning an engine which was not originally designed for mass production so that it could indeed be made by American mass production methods, and so that it could be fitted with American fittings and accessories as mentioned above or British accessories and fittings, depending upon which government the engine was intended for."

This makes sense, but was a major complication in manufacturing the Merlins.

JWL

Posted on: 2017/3/30 13:15
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Quote:

Deskdriver wrote:
I found this thread interesting. Knowing that Packard stopped car production in March of '42 to build the Merlin engines and also suspect they were building the marine engines for the PT boats.

But all this brought about more thoughts and questions. How did the war effect the number of males working for Packard? Did they hire women, we hear all about "Rosie, the riveter" but what about Martha the mechanic? Did Packard hire a significant amount of women to cover the shortages in their workforce?

First: As mentioned above, the Merlin production line was running by October 1941, months BEFORE the car line was shut down. Merlin production was done in Building #22 with an adjacent building used for run-in testing - these were brand new buildings used only for thh Merlin.

Second: Yes, a significant number of women were hired, including my mother and several of what later became her best friends. Remember, during WWII, the plant was running literally 24/7 - the doors were probably never locked. My mom and her friends worked in Building #22, inspecting ball bearings and other small parts using tolerance gauges for proper fit.

Attached below are vintage photos of my mom and my "Aunt" Helen - that is the title people of my generation calls their parent's best friends. While Packard gave them their first "real money" paychecks they could not afford the 1941 120 convertible coupe they are posing with. That was a loaner borrowed from the husband of my mother's older sister who owned a used car lot. They took the buss to 1580 E. Grand Blvd. A number of relatively new cars were being sold as guys went off to war. You can also see my "Aunt" Helen in this movie trailer about the Packard Plant at the 4:30 minute point.
http://freepfilmfestival.com/schedule-of-films/packard-the-last-shift/

Attach file:

jpg  (29.28 KB)
436_58dd4eac93fc7.jpg 710X479 px

jpg  (27.21 KB)
436_58dd4ebb3b826.jpg 719X481 px

Posted on: 2017/3/30 13:30
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Roger,

Now that is cool! Thanks for Sharing!

Posted on: 2017/3/30 17:11
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
To give you a better idea where the Merlin production line was located at the Packard Plant I have attached 3 items for your review.

1. Street level image, looking SW toward the corner of Concord Street (left) and Harper Avenue (right / foreground) to building #22 under construction.

2. Aerial view of the same intersection. Note the test cell building adjacent to the west with the numerous smoke stacks. These stacks were attached to the engine exhaust pipes during run-in testing. Freshly assembled engines moved through underground tunnels to the test cell room and not exposed to the weather.

3. Floor plans comparing the pre-war, car production layout to "Today" or wartime production. Note that building #22 was NOT in existence before the war and was built specifically for the Merlin engine production. RED line is E. Grand Boulevard. GREEN line is Concord St. and BLUE line is Harper Avenue.

Attach file:

jpg  (55.51 KB)
436_58de3d75edfc6.jpg 750X621 px

jpg  (61.91 KB)
436_58de3d92202be.jpg 650X508 px

jpg  (110.47 KB)
436_58de3db2e4ec0.jpg 1920X1088 px

Posted on: 2017/3/30 20:14
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Check the titles for any numerals separated by a dot such as in this example with the time
2013-07-14 at 3.44.20 PM
or just rename the photos to all letters. If I tried to post the photo with that title it would get the same error. If I edit out the time and just leave the date it will post. Some websites see titles with numbers separated by a dot as an odd IP address and think it is trying to hijack or redirect.

Posted on: 2017/3/30 20:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
Roger - thank you for the additional information and especially for the photos. You've really brought the subject to life with all of this!

Posted on: 2017/3/31 23:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
Many thanks to all of you PackardInfo readers who have visited the blog post! We've had great traffic on the blog thanks to you!

For those who haven't seen the post, the link is below. Don't miss the videos.

https://56packardman.com/2017/03/28/gear-head-tuesday-packard-and-the-merlin-engine/

Also, we posted about James Ward Packard here:

https://56packardman.com/2017/03/21/gear-head-tuesday-james-ward-packard-1863-1928/

Posted on: 2017/4/1 8:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robin Adair
See User information
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/w8soszoMtek?list=PL3QxtvilYVbq8ljlzIlmorEc2Tr7K3AEa" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My father, who celebrated his 97th birthday last Saturday, is a fellow Packard collector some of you may know. Here is a video where he talks about flying Packard Merlin equipped P40's and later P51.

Posted on: 2017/4/19 9:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robin Adair
See User information
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AeCEpBuyQUQ?list=PL3QxtvilYVbq8ljlzIlmorEc2Tr7K3AEa" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is some very rare footage of the 89th Fighter Squadron flying, I believe, Packard equipped P40's in Richmond Virginia

Edited to correct video footage

Posted on: 2017/4/19 9:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tinpan, thank you for sharing the videos. You are fortunate to have the one of your father talking about his war experiences. Many others would love to have that record and image.

About the 90th Fighter Squadron's P-40s in Taipha, Georgia. I believe these aircraft are Allison powered as they are shown with the snorkel on top of the engine cowling. The Packard powered P-40s did not have this snorkel. Just a few of the P-40 were fitted with the Merlin engine, and I believe were later reverted back to the Allisons. I may be incorrect on this, but recall reading something like this in the past.

JWL

Posted on: 2017/4/19 10:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved