Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 156

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Aftermarket Temp Gauge Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ouch! What a shame it's been cut, one of the very rarest postwar senior Packards, a Custom 8 club coupe. Perhaps less than 15 outstanding. I believe GTO was correct, out of the nearly 1000 cars at the Warren Centennial there were NONE.

But as I look at the picture, hard to tell but the nose clip appears too short for a Custom 8. Perhaps its a customized Eight, not a Custom 8? Does the original patent plate still exist with the vehicle number? If so, can you post the #?

Posted on: 2008/12/31 9:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Does the car have the -egg crate grill?

Posted on: 2008/12/31 12:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
My 1947 Custom Super Eight Touring Sedan with the 356 engine is fitted with an after market temperature gauge. It is a mechanical-capillary type. I don't yet know the manufacturer. The original gauge and tubing are still on the car. I am going to test the original gauge to see if it works. If it does I am going to remove the aftermarket one. It has a round face with white on black and is illuminated. Would you be interested?

Posted on: 2008/12/31 14:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I tested the original gauge this afternoon by submersing the tube end in a pot of hot (190F) water for a few minutes. The dash gauge moved only slightly off of "Cold". Too bad, I was hoping the original gauge was workable. I will keep the after market gauge for now.

Posted on: 2008/12/31 19:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
James,

A couple of pic's re my '41 gauge and sending unit. First is the removal of the sending unit fitting at the rear of the head, was "welded" in with corrosion but finally undid it! Broke the sending unit bulb off the capillary tube later - clumsy me!

Second is Ron of Mobile Instrument Service holding the unit he repaired, gauge, sending unit and cable.
Quote:
Owen_Dyneto wrote:........Does the original patent plate still exist with the vehicle number?........

Dave,

In James' Owner Registry listing it shows:
YEAR: 1948
SERIES: 22nd
MODEL NAME: Custom 8
MODEL NUMBER: 2255

Does this help?

EDIT Pic's now added

Attach file:

jpg  (22.49 KB)
226_495c12e57ddbb.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (18.76 KB)
226_495c12f521e36.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2008/12/31 19:48
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I haven't tried this yet but when I posted it before someone said that they had done a couple and it works.http://www.ply33.com/Repair/tempgauge

Posted on: 2008/12/31 20:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Quote:

Phils38cpe wrote:
I haven't tried this yet but when I posted it before someone said that they had done a couple and it works.http://www.ply33.com/Repair/tempgauge

Outstanding link! I am inspired to have a look at my temp gauge.

Thanks for posting,
Jim

Posted on: 2009/1/1 1:46
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

James Green
See User information
This site is fabulous! I never dreamed my question would generate this many responses. There is a lot of info to digest.

Here are answers to confirm or deny authenticty of the car. The car has a 127" wheelbase (as physically measured), it has the egg crate lower grill and tail-light treatment as well as eggcrate inserts for the upper grill; it has the comorant for the nose of the hood (not installed). The car has the twin lower trim holes plus the stainless to go with it (not installed except for fender skirt).

Here are the car's numbers:

right side cowl 8565I4 large embossed letters
2258-2711 small plate (body number)

left side cowl 2255-9-2723 PACKARD PLATE

Motor # 8897723356

If anyone can authenticate the car with this info please let me know. Also anyone having historical info on car would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2009/1/4 22:00
48 Custom
48 Custom Club Sedan
56 Studebaker Golden Hawk
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Based on the Patent Plate, this should be your car:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/modelinfo/viewmodel.php?model=216

Posted on: 2009/1/4 22:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Look again, perhaps clean the plate up a bit, but the first 4 digits of the small plate by the heater (the Briggs body plate, Packard had the bodies built by Briggs in that era) should match the first 4 digits of the vehicle number on the patent (serial #) plate. A 2255 would be Custom 8 club sedan, very rare are desireable!! Among the rarest and least-seen of the 48-50 cars. The -9- indicates that it was sold as a 1949 model, not a 1948 though except for the extra digit in the VN, they are pretty much identical except for the first hundred or so made in early 1948.

The 2723 portion of the VH indicates that it was the 723rd made of that exact model. The exact number made is unknown but probably not much more than that. At the Warren Centennial in 1999 there were close to 1000 Packards at the peak, and NONE of that model.

Posted on: 2009/1/4 23:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved