Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 106

CarFreak, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 »

Re: Debi's 1953 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
I know it can be removed without pulling the fender, but it's heavy and hard to put back. I would have to use my engine hoist for a 3rd hand to lift it in and out. I did do it without removing the fender and I damaged the gasket set and caused another leak. I'd like to do it right once (I know, this is the 3rd time....).

Posted on: 2017/3/7 3:34
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
I pulled the fender off.

I got the exhaust/intake manifold off. The exhaust manifold has now been repaired. I just need to install it.

I took the distributor to a local guy who repairs Model A's and he put the distributor on a Sun diagnostic system. He turned it on and found the firing was wandering. The distributor shaft is still loose. I'm looking into getting it repaired the right way this time.

Attach file:

jpg  (195.07 KB)
1632_58d09f9f0b4e3.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2017/3/20 22:39
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
I put the intake/exhaust manifold back on, it had the heat riser valve removed and welded closed. I put the freeze plug back on, putting it in the freezer over night helped with that.
I put the distributor on and found I had no spark. Since I rebuilt this one and another one for the 48, I thought the 48 distributor would fit. Well the pin was too long on the distributor shaft so we grinded it down to fit, I thought. It was tough going in and stopped way too short of going all the way in.
Let me back up and say the distributor that came with my 53 is for a 51-52 Packard. The distributor that came with the 48 Sedan is for a 50 Packard and that is the one that is stuck in the engine.
I can't pull the 48 distributor out. I thought maybe some one here had an idea I could try, with out removing the engine. You can see I bent the flange trying to pry it out. I pushed it in by hand and now it won't come out. The distributor can spin and the shaft can also spin.
Do you have any ideas on how to remove my stuck distributor?
Then once it's removed, I can get back to why there is no spark while trying to start the car. I just had this distributor rebuilt and the guy made a new bushing for it. The distributor shaft no longer wobbles.

Attach file:

jpg  (66.15 KB)
1632_590bed4ca5e87.jpg 600X800 px

Posted on: 2017/5/4 22:18
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wonder if applying dry ice to the dist while protecting the block from the cold would contract it enough to loosen. If that is not feasible what about removing the oil pump and seeing if a long brass drift could be threaded up to tap the end of the dist from that side.

If there is enough room possibly a coupling nut and an ordinary bolt threaded down into it would work. Place the nut and bolt in the center of the flange where there is some stronger support and then unscrew the bolt to increase the distance the bolt head moves away from the nut. That might put enough pressure on the dist to move it. It might take one on each side to provide equal pressure.

On your no spark verify the condition of the cloth covered wire inside the dist between the points and the outside terminal. If you have that particular wire setup and the cloth has rotted and fallen off the wire as several have, the points could have a constant short to ground and the coil will never spark

Posted on: 2017/5/4 22:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Sometimes distributors are just ornery. As you know, there's nothing holding them in except the 2 bolts from the outside. Fashion a "slide hammer" of sorts. Take some small chain from the hardware store, loop it around the body and put a small bolt/nut to hold it tight.

Then have a few feet free, put it through something heavy (stale bagel or bricck with holes in it) and put a large washer over the end. Finish the end with a suitable bolt.
Pull up sharply on the brick, eat bagel.

Posted on: 2017/5/5 5:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
Thanks, Fred. The slide hammer worked just fine.

Now to see why it won't start. So far it has no spark.

Posted on: 2017/5/8 22:31
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
After checking to see if my points are working. I had to make another spark plug wire to see if I had a spark and I did. I saw that my fuel pump was working because I have a clear plastic filter that filled up every time I tried to start it. I pulled the spark plugs and found them dry. So I sprayed starter fluid in the carburetor and the engine roared to life. At first it sputtered then it smoothed out and is quiet. No more exhaust leak! No more stumbling!

Now I should check the distributors on my other Packards!

Posted on: 2017/5/15 18:42
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I have diagnosed problems like this a dozen times. Sounds to me like the accelerator pump is not working. After lots of trying the plugs were still dry AND a squirt of gas made it start. Look down the carb and see if both accel pump jets are working.

Posted on: 2017/5/15 19:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
I just checked the carburetor and both accelerator pump jets are squirting gas. Thanks for the idea to check it, I'm glad it's working.

Posted on: 2017/5/17 5:49
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Does it still need starting fluid?? If so, check to see that the choke is fully closed when cold. What you described is a fuel problem. Advise.

Posted on: 2017/5/17 7:45
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved