Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Does the gas tank need to be grounded to the frame?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
The gage doesn't work. The previous owner had the tank flushed and coated and the unit fixed but it still didn't work and he thinks it should be grounded to the frame. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Posted on: 2017/6/23 12:28
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print 

Re: Does the gas tank need to be grounded to the frame?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, the tank needs to be grounded.

Posted on: 2017/6/23 12:31
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It wouldn't need extra from the factory but with the work done it could need one now. Even if it has a connection running an extra ground wouldn't hurt and would be good insurance. Finding a place to attach is going to be the issue since the tank is mounted. Some tanks have a convenient wide flange on the tank side that can be drilled and a terminal and wire attached, but if yours does not, some have sandwiched several inches of bare wire between the tank and the cushion material on one of the mounting straps making sure the tank has good contact with the wire. The other end of the wire is then screwed to the frame or body.

The opening where the sender inserts needs to have a tight metal to metal connection on the top outside the tank too. That connection is usually provided by the twist on retaining ring pressing down tightly against the gauge flange but it would need to be verified there is nothing on the gauge flange preventing a solid contact.

There is also a possibility the wire between the sender and gauge could be open. Unfortunately it is very hard to work on the sender or do testing because with the tank mounted there is very little space to reach the sender from the front or any opening in the trunk floor to access it.

Posted on: 2017/6/23 12:37
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I had to run a ground wire when I had my tank cleaned and coated. I ran it from the strap bolt that fastened to the frame and ran the wire to one of the screws that held the sending unit.

Posted on: 2017/6/23 13:47
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The 54 tanks have no screws holding in the sender. Just a retaining ring. As shown in my blog, I have a self tapping screw and a wire with a terminal attached to the flange on the tank. The other end of the wire is to a large terminal that goes over the bolt that holds the tank strap.

Posted on: 2017/6/23 15:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The steel fuel line generally provides ground but is in most cases insufficient and even gone entirely if rubber lines are used in place of the steel. It is always advisable to add a better ground than came from the factory.

Posted on: 2017/6/23 22:07
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I think Kev is correct. Now I will have to go under Best Other and see where I ran the ground wire. It has been a very long time so cut me some slack.

Posted on: 2017/6/23 23:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
Is my 53 same as 54?

Posted on: 2017/6/24 14:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
If I attach it to the strap Bolt I'm not sure I can access the sending unit for the other end of The Wire is any place on the frame okay?

Posted on: 2017/6/24 14:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Tanks are the same from 1952 to 1956 and no need to actually ground the sending unit itself as the lock disk should cut into the metal sufficiently for that. The point is to ground the tank but before going through the work, just take a basic ohm meter measurement from the tank to the frame to see if it's even necessary. If it shows zero ohms, or close to it, the tank already is grounded.

Posted on: 2017/6/24 14:40
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved