Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 131

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

data plate refinishing
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Why....is this so difficult? I've asked before. Seeing a post today about 23rd (& 1/2 ?) data plate reproduction reminds me (Tom in KCMO, Postwar 1946-54 forum).

My Super Clipper is a 21st series, but why oh why instead of a reproduction data plate, can't those of us with 1939-on Packards send our original data plates somewhere to be re-silkscreened?

I can't be the only one who doesn't want to lose the delivery date and dealer's name scribed, etched or scratched in the dealer's own hand -- that direct historic connection -- replaced with some fakey do repro.

C'mon, any alert silkscreeners/Packard fans out there? Surely if they can silkscreen a new piece of tin, they can silkscreen the original. Do we throw out our original window garnish moldings? Of course not. We have them re-woodgrained. Did you throw out your Packard, or have it repainted? Not complicated. Please, let's not make a big deal/nerdathon out of this.

Yes, no, who?

We put a man on the moon nearly half a century ago.

Posted on: 2017/7/9 14:03
 Top  Print   

Re: data plate refinishing
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
How about contacting the person (Bill Clark) mentioned in post 3 in that other thread and see if he could do it.

The way I read that thread Tom, the original poster, is looking for a good photo of that specific 50 1/2 plate so he can have a repro plate made. If the person doing that work is able to take a photo of the plate and make a new one, he should certainly be able to get a photo of a readily available 47 repro plate and make a silkscreen for that one. If he makes his own plates as the post suggests he may already have that particular silkscreen.

Once that 47 silkscreen is in hand then I would think removing the old ink off yours and rescreening using your original plate should be possible as long as the plate is not bent or otherwise in terrible condition. I guess the downside to doing that is the dealer info and delivery date were typically stamped in indelible ink, not etched or hard stamped so data in those fields would probably be lost after cleaning the plate.

If you do find someone willing, let us know. I might be a candidate too.

Posted on: 2017/7/9 14:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
WhiteGloveCollection.com offers repop. Haven't seen anyone offering resto services for that, per se, but they may know. I guess you can add/duplicate the other marks which is commonly done for assembly marks in "modern" cars.

Depends a little on your state DMV and whether or not the car is titled/registered. For theft protection, some do not permit removal or tampering of the manufacturers data plates, even removal for restoration. Since they did not have modern VINs, pre '64, it's a state by state issue how they treat vintage. It's not a "biggie" and silly but need to understand your state laws if you go to sell or license.

ps; What's wrong with just leaving it as it is?
It's a contradiction to own a "vintage" vehicle and then want it to look new. If it's non-functional, then it's a necessity to put back on the road, but cosmetics is in the eye of the eyers.

Posted on: 2017/7/10 8:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
After thinking about this, I'm leaning toward these were made by a photolithographic technique, so silk screening wouldn't apply.
One can imagine in restoration, protecting the areas wanted preserved, cleaning off the old coating, and reapplying a new coating.
The etched areas won't change over time unless the plate was damaged. Off the top, I don't recall if they are reverse or positive image coated. I thinking reverse because the write-in areas are flats but my recall function is waning with age. I just clicked off another tick on the age-ometer this week. I'll go look at mine later.

The logistics of sending off original parts has a percentage risk in it also. And there's the possibility of mishandling or damaging parts in repair or in transit, so it's a risky, therefore, costly operation compared to reproducing.
This is one for the professional restorers to answer. I doubt a straight answer exists.

Posted on: 2017/7/14 8:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
I bought 1 for my 2392 from Puffer Williams (Old name) HH52 turned me on to them. There plate is excellent quality, pre drilled but they do not stamp the numbers or other info.

I have had a hard time finding someone with the similar type of stamps in my area. I don't know what style of font they used but measure the letters at 3/8 in

Here is a scan of the new plate and an old one.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.83 KB)
67700_5968e4186c82e.jpg 593X768 px

Posted on: 2017/7/14 10:33
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The information the dealer was to provide (22nd series and earlier) could take any form as dealers could either buy stamp sets from Packard, or use standard sets sold by local merchants or machine shop supply houses. Or scratch the info with a pointed instrument, or even leave it blank.

But the vehicle number itself was in a very specific and proprietary type font owned by Packard. This of course was done to make falsification motor difficult.

Posted on: 2017/7/14 12:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
For data plates and refinishing, contact Jerry at Nostalgic Reflections in Veradale, WA. They have a web site. Tell them I sent you.

Posted on: 2017/7/17 13:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved