Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1937 115 coupe died on me tonight
Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
okay guys a little history havent driven 37 in two years batter was dead so i recharged it( strong now)

Crank eover tonight and started with a little ether..no problem but running a little rough.

took it to my drive way and it backfired once) as i put foot on accelerator.. then i took it down our country road for a test drive..a couple of times there was hesitation on acceleration. and loss of power..oh oh maybe out of gas
Well it died on me 1 mile from the house. cranked no fire. Eventually a guy stopped and went back to his house to get gas.( NICE GUY)..put a little gas in carb..started but died.

bad fuel pump maybe ?? had it rebuilt 20 years ago neopreme I guess tomorrow the best test is to diconnect at carb bowl and crank over to see if it is pissing ?

if it is then it would appear it is a carb issue..

your thoughts thanks Sandy Petersburg Michigan

Posted on: 2017/7/22 22:04
 Top  Print 

Re: 1937 115 coupe died on me tonight
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
So... is the gas in the tank 2+ years old?

Posted on: 2017/7/23 8:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
yup jajajaj tested the fuel pump this morning..disconneted and cranked it over pisses when cranked all systems working on fuel pump so it appears fuel related issue or carb what you think?

Posted on: 2017/7/23 10:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning Sanford...I have run into problems like this with old cars and several times the answer was a Condenser and a few times a coil.

Both of these items tend to work when stone cold, and then fail as they become hot...when they are at the end of their useful life.

Two years sitting, with a six volt machine, could well be part of the problem. Also, how old are the plugs? When were they last checked/cleaned/ gapped/ plug wire tips cleaned where they go into the distributor cap and to the top of the plugs? Check your battery cables for clean and tight on both ends.

Finally check the condition of the inside of the distributor cap, rotor and points for rust and grunge. Maybe a little holly water on the radiator? Good luck with the old girl. Ernie

Posted on: 2017/7/23 10:51
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would wonder if the fuel evaporated as it sat and left a coat of varnish which clogged a jet or port in the carb. If you have a ceramic fuel filter those also can get clogged with varnish from fuel evaporating in the filter bowl to the point they will pass fuel enough for an idle but not enough for any speed.

Also wondering if there could be some kind of floating debris or sediment that can get pulled to the fuel inlet in the tank as the engine is running. That could cause a blockage and starvation. When the engine quits the sediment floats away until the next time.

Posted on: 2017/7/23 10:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
reconnected the line from fuel pump to carb..cranked it over with a bit of ether..fired and turned but heard a few pops..im now suspecting old gas or condensation of water in lines and tanks

Posted on: 2017/7/23 11:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
reconnected the line from fuel pump to carb..cranked it over with a bit of ether..fired and turned but heard a few pops..im now suspecting old gas or condensation of water in lines and tanks

Posted on: 2017/7/23 11:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
opened carb where screen is and gas is coming into the carb

Posted on: 2017/7/23 11:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
all good points to check guys will check dist coil etc for grunge etc and plugs last changed 15 years ago hahaha

Posted on: 2017/7/23 11:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
I am not sure about the gasoline where you live, but here in California, 6 months seems to be the max life. If your gas smell like turpentine get it out of there. I have had to rebuild a few small engine carbs because of the turpentine smell or varnish as referred to earlier.

Posted on: 2017/7/23 12:00
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved