Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 126

Charles, soulrenovation, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Speedometer Removal on 7th Series
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
Howdy,

I need to remove the speedometer from my 726 Packard so I can send it off for repair. Does anybody have "Been There, Done That" experience with speedometer removal from one of these beasts? Just taking a quick look it appears as though I may need to pull the whole cluster from the back of the dash.

Thanks in advance,

Posted on: 2017/10/4 23:05
1930 Packard 726
 Top  Print   

Re: Speedometer Removal on 7th Series
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
That's a fair description of the task! Not something you will want to do often lying on your back upside down. Remove the back cover plate and proceed cautiously. Make sure your battery is isolated as you will be working near the ammeter.
Opening the air vent assist with lighting.
When you refit it be careful not to over tighten and crack any of the glasses . If you do, consider replacing with perspex, looks the same and much less likely to crack.

Posted on: 2017/10/5 1:51
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Scott726
See User information
Thanks for taking the time to get back to me, that's kind of how I figured it would go. My ammeter has a cracked gauge face, I'll take the opportunity to square that away at the same time. It looks like Amazon has Perspex (what don't they have).

Posted on: 2017/10/6 22:14
1930 Packard 726
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
The speedo is held in with two bolts so it's quite simple to remove once you have access to it
My suggested cautions are :

1. It's heavy. When you are lying on your back underneath it take care not to drop it on your face !! I speak from experience

2. The cast alloy frame that holds the mileometer rollers is very fragile and will break if you are rough with it. There's a company in Australia that makes replacements should this be necessary.

3. Don't over tighten the bolts when you put it back in. They come very close to the back of the metal dash board and will dint it quite easily

Good luck

Posted on: 2017/11/13 1:36
1930 Deluxe 8 745 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Any chance you could share photos as you go?
Pat

Posted on: 2017/11/13 11:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved