Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 90

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55 c pillar courtesy lights
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

55packard400
See User information
I have a 55 400 map light operates butg rear courtesy interior lights do not replaced bulbs , sockets have power
Could the light switch be the problem? All other lights operate as they should is there'd a separate fuyse\ciurcut for these lights?

Thanks

Posted on: 2017/11/12 16:26
 Top  Print 

Re: 55 c pillar courtesy lights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is no separate fuse for the inside quarter lights.. If the outside courtesy lights, trunk light and rear cigar lighters work the fuse is good.

If the front map light comes on when the doors open or when the headlight switch knob is turned to the left those switches are good.

The rear quarter inside courtesy light wire is brought forward in the body loom along with the tail lights etc but I can't remember if that loom runs down the side of the trans tunnel and crosses over under and below the accelerator pedal or runs down the left side of the floor near the door jamb. At any rate I believe it terminates in the space behind or just above the left kickpanel.

Most of the body loom wires connect into a plug off the main loom but the courtesy lights connect to a separate wire which goes directly to the headlight switch for the manual on function. There should be a tan wire with an inline connector behind or just above the kickpanel and since there is only one terminal on the courtesy light portion of the headlight switch, because on hardtops the front door switch wire also has to be connected to the quarter light wire there is another connector in a short 2 wire jumper piece at the headlight switch where the wire from the door switches can connect.

Assuming the wire in the body loom did not get damaged and broken, I would look for the wire to have pulled out of one of the connectors under the dash.

If you don't have one the 55 wiring diagram can be download via the wire diagram and radio category on the literature page.

Posted on: 2017/11/12 17:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

55packard400
See User information
Hello
I also tried an1157 bulb being 2 contact as well has two filaments
with the doors closed and the map lib is off the bulb will illuminate when placed in the socket so they are getting power but doors are closed this does no happen when I put in the 1004 bulb that's called for in the manual
Thanks

Posted on: 2017/11/12 19:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If I recall, 55s have two switches per door. They both have to work. The courtesy lights work by grounding, one of the contacts in the socket should always be hot, and the other one should register neutral when the doors are shut, and grounded when open.

Posted on: 2017/11/12 19:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Should be the single filament 2 contact bulb for the interior quarters. The sockets are in parallel. Postwar Packards used the ground side for switching. Power is on one bulb contact all the time and ground is provided to the other via the door switches or via the headlight switch if knob is turned to the left to activate that portion of the switch.

On the 55 there are two sets of door switches at each door. A switch on each side is in parallel so either door operate the interior courtesy lights and map light and is also in parallel with the headlight switch portion so that switch can turn them on if the doors are closed. The other pair of door switches operates the outside courtesy lights located behind the door on the fender.

55 had two ordinary single terminal grounding switches but in 56 the switch changed to a single but special double terminal switch. Does your car have both switches at each door?

Posted on: 2017/11/12 19:59
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ross, early 56s also used two switches.

Posted on: 2017/11/12 19:59
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

55packard400
See User information
Hello Howard
Yes I have two switches per door

Posted on: 2017/11/12 21:37
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved