Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
73 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 72

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

Re: New member, setting off on a crazy adventure... PICS!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
I had a non-operational 55 Clipper shipped from Oregon to Phoenix, AZ and it cost me $600 and it took about 6 weeks to find a carrier willing to do it. I got it running in about 2 weeks, after that I needed to take it back down for a complete brake job. I agree with the Flackmaster on this one. Ship it.

Posted on: 2017/11/22 11:22
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
The Viking spirit! When they landed in the "New World" the Vikings burned their ships, kinda like only buying a 1-way airline ticket?

Go for it! It will be an adventure to remember. We can all live through your travels, keep us posted!

I didn't read or missed it, but drain the radiator, add water at first to make sure things are tight and not leaking and maybe have a new thermostat on hand. If all is good, add coolant.

Next, I would do a visual check of the wiring. Being in a barn that long you might have some rodents nests. Think about getting a spare headlight and a few bulbs also. Lots of stuff.

Have fun and keep us posted!

Oh, maybe some snow chains?

Posted on: 2017/11/22 11:23
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Personally, I think it's folly to proceed as you suggest.

That aside, if you're going to do it anyway, your proposed "testing the brakes to see if they have pressure" is entirely inadequate for a car that has been sitting for 20 years - not only will you endanger yourself and your passenger but others on the roads. Nothing less than a complete overhaul of the entire hydraulic portion of the brake system should be an absolute priority before anything else prior to putting the car on the road.

Posted on: 2017/11/22 11:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
OH WOW!!! Road trip,.........I'm torn between the adventure of it all and the practicality of shipping or driving up and trailering the car home.......In both cases safety should take priority......But, the viking in me says you will know best, and I do support and understand your choice.
Start a trip blog on this website so we all can vicariously be apart of your adventure.
Good Luck.
Steve

Posted on: 2017/11/22 11:55
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mustangduckk
See User information
Wow, thanks for all the replies. A lot of really good ideas.

I had been told it was a '53, but you guys are the experts and I'd bet it is indeed a '54 if that's what you all think it is.

I'll definitely be buying a AAA package. I need one anyway, had to limp my '67 Mustang home a few weeks ago when my hydraulic clutch broke.

There is no doubt it would be cheaper to have my family there load it on a transport and have it shipped. But that's not much of an adventure! A little background: I'm 30 and just got divorced this year. We've been talking about making the drive for years. Now is the time to give it a shot!

My buddy and I were talking about an electric fuel pump last night. Good to have a part number recommendation for that.

My main concern right now is getting the starter motor in time. Without that, the whole trip is pointless. Mr Charod at Kanter has been very helpful and advised that there are two types of starters. I'll place an order as soon as I get that. Are there any other places to get one if they can't deliver on time?

This car is in Molalla, not too far from Portland. I'll be glad to get in touch with that club. I'm sure we could use some local support getting underway. I'll also sign up with the clubs for additional contacts on the road if we make it that far.

I'm thinking you guys are right about the brakes. Looking for some rebuild kits now.

Posted on: 2017/11/22 11:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A lot of it has already been said but you might want to browse this article:

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=859

Posted on: 2017/11/22 12:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...I'm a life long westerner and there are long distances on the western roads between even little towns.

If the old girl decides to stop and rest 50 to 100 miles from anyplace, you will need to be prepared to wait for help for at least a couple of hours before help arrives.

Food and water are necessary. Also, you might want to pre plan your route and see where the dangerous areas are. It is one thing to drive a barn fresh old machine around town, another to drive a long distance on flat ground and quite another to ask the old girl to climb mountains at anything like normal modern speed.

If you do this, remember to drive at 45 or so and do not stress the old girl. Even IF she is in fairly good shape...a long run at any speed above 45 might/will do damage.

Considering how long she has been sitting...at least one additional oil change along the way would be a good idea.

Actually, I agree with Owen and Dwayne that you will be money ahead by shipping/trailering the car home and then take the time to wake her up carefully and enjoy her. Ernie

Posted on: 2017/11/22 12:54
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A couple of other fuel considerations would be the state of the fuel tank. After sitting so many years it has probably got stale fuel which needs to be drained before even thinking of starting the engine. If the tank was sitting with water condensate it could also be very rusted inside and once you start messing around all those rust flakes will break free and start to come out and thoroughly clog the works. I would get the largest filter you can find and place it right at the tank outlet to catch any rust. Maybe carry a spare too. When draining the tank, the stock drain plug is steel and by now has most likely rusted to the tank bung. If you are going to try and remove it use a large vise grip, channel locks, or a pipe wrench to hold the bung as you work the plug. The bung is pressed into the tank sheetmetal and if you try to remove the plug and the bung breaks free and turns you have an almost impossible to repair leak in the tank.

As to the electrical pump, the mechanical pump has an output of 3.5-5 psi. The Airtex E 8902 has 2.5-4.5 psi out and would be suitable in totally replacing the original mechanical pump and being located in the engine compt.

Many permanently install an electric pump near the tank which can be turned on or off as desired. It is plumbed to push fuel thru the mechanical pump and filters to use in case of vapor lock or to prime after a long sit. For that application The E 8011 at 5-8 psi would be better due to the pressure loss resulting in pushing fuel thru the line and old mechanical pump..

In your proposed trip it is a quandary which pump to get to avoid wasting money and buying something not suitable down the road. With the old stock mechanical pump which due to age probably has old rubber, ethanol gas will most likely make short work of finding any weaknesses. Pushing gas thru the mechanical with damaged rubber would probably result in a crankcase full of gas if the diaphragm gave up during the trip. That is when you want to bypass the mechanical totally.

You could get the E8011 and mount it near the tank but if a failure happened and you needed to eliminate the mechanical pump, pushing that high a pressure directly into the carb could result in flooding due to high pressure pushing the float valve off its seat. That is where the E8902 would be better but mounting it at the rear for use long term, it may not have enough strength to push thru the mechanical should you ever want to have it as a backup only.

If you do contemplate a permanent arrangement of having fuel pushed thru the mechanical it is best to get a solenoid style pump such as the two Airtexes. The mechanical pumps can pull fuel thru them if they are off. Rotary pumps such as the Carter and some others usually do not permit sufficient fuel to flow thru if they are off and will require some special bypass plumbing to allow both pumps to coexist.

Posted on: 2017/11/22 12:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Mustangduckk

Welcome! All good advice you've received so far, not much for me to add. I applaud your drive to have such an adventure and since you're young (relative to most of us), I'd say go for it.

But, with the proviso, do your extensive preparations first even if it takes more time and expense. An adventure that starts out in an ill-prepared sixty year old car can quickly lose it free-wheeling, high-spirited appeal and turn into a nightmare.

Please take the time to prepare your '54 Clipper thoroughly for the tour. Then, take your time along the way, visit major attractions, make it a real tour, document it as you go. It will be one which will be memorable for a lifetime.

Good luck and keep us apprised of your progress.

Steve

Posted on: 2017/11/22 13:50
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dave
See User information
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you guys are right up my alley. done this 4 time wanting another one, lots of good info these guys are giving you-- If you all are pretty good mechanics, you did a little research on Packards you should have little to no problems. IM down here in San Antonio tx and part of the Heart of Texas Packard club. I did this on a 1967 for truck from California to TX with one that was in storage for 30 years. Then a 1977 mustang from Wisconsin to TX it was in pretty good cond but needed a brake job and a couple of other things. then my 1950 Packard from Houston to San Antonio on dry rot tires ( wont do that again, new tires next time) and a 1967 falcon from Nocogdoches TX to San Antonio little problems here and there but got home.Boy I wish I was going with you all, it will be a fun time!!!!!!!need any help with info or parts look up give me a call-- 210-573-1531 dave, I will try the darness to help.

Posted on: 2017/11/22 18:20
happiness is a 1950 Packard 1950 club sedan deluxe [img]https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=1892[/img]
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved