Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 133

Joe, TxGoat, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ethanol gas disappearing?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
I am planning on a 50 mile trip to a show with the 1956 Esquire this coming weekend. For the past year, my fuel gauge hasn't worked and I have been doing the old fashioned way of keeping the tank topped up whenever any trip is contemplated. Today, just for safety's sake, I topped up the tank and the darn thing took almost 17 gallons! It's been a while, but I don't think I have driven it much more than a 120 miles this year. I'm now going to keep better records of miles driven until that guage get fixed or starts working again.

Has anyone else seen 10% ethanol gasoline disappear or evaporate during periods of non use? My 1967 Corvette might have the same issue. No noted gas smell in the garage with either and certainly no leakage has been spotted. The Corvette has a brand new tank and fittings. I no longer have teen drivers in the house who know how to siphon gas, so I will rule that one out. I do wonder, since similar things don't seem to happen with our more modern cars with non-vented and emission controls with charcoal canister breathers, if the gas is simply evaporating from the little used cars with vented systems. Over the winter months, I do use Stabil in cars when I don't expect to drive them much, but this kind of loss has me wondering. Or is this another symptom of old guy logic going amiss?

Posted on: 2017/11/28 17:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Ethanol gas disappearing?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Mine always seem to have the same amount of gas when I start them up in the Spring as the had when I put them away 3-4 months earlier. For winter storage I add a small amount of 2 cycle oil rather than StaBil.

Posted on: 2017/11/28 20:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
You might want to check your carburetor carefully. If you have a Rochester 4-barrel like the one on my car, they can spring leaks around the seal after a few years.

I really doubt that someone would chose to syphon gas from a 62-year-old Packard since these cars stick out like sore thumbs in a parking lot full of Toyotas and Hondas! And unless the gas thieves know anything about our cars, they probably would be unclear as to what kind of fuel is actually in these cars!

I find the title of your subject intriguing. Unfortunately, ethanol in gasoline shows no signs of disappearing anytime soon.

Posted on: 2017/11/29 15:54
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
Also have a problem with my Rochester 4 barrel, using too much fuel, and a lot washes down the cylinders. So check the carburetor.
Now to find a rebuilder for mine.

Posted on: 2017/12/4 17:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved