Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 101

DavidM, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Potmetal preservation methods
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

The subject of potmetal preservation methods came up in a discussion the other day. I recall a Cars & Parts magazine article years ago describing something to coat the backside to prevent where moisture enters the porous zinc alloy metal, eventually resulting in the surface pits.

What steps have you taken to preserve your potmetal trim from deterioration?

Steve

Posted on: 2017/12/9 10:18
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Re: Potmetal preservation methods
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Not much one can do except keep it well waxed and out of the dampness.
Even under best of conditions, it can oxidize from inclusions within and cause a bubble that will eventually blister and ruin the chrome finish. You got so many dissimilar metals going on there as a sandwich. The underside is usually not as finished and being more porous, it tends to go first. Zinc's natural state is oxide, so it's just a matter of time.
There are spray anti-corrosion preparations like CRC 06026 that you can use on the back side, but it has a shelf life and must be cleaned off and re-applied every couple years. Hard to do if on the vehicle and not sure if it'll hurt the paint or run during washing. It's also brownish, so you have to keep off the showing side. I use on restorations with metal parts when I store long term. The stuff doesn't last all that well in the spray can so get fresh.
I waxed my show chrome and wrapped in bubble wrap and stored on shelf. Doing well.
If good side is already pitted somewhat, I'd get it to the chrome shop, ASAP, for a show quality redo. They'll blast it and fill in the pits, if done properly. Keep it waxed and dry after.
I'd say it's just one of the facets of owning a collector car, you have more maintenance then a new car to make and keep it looking new.
Some just leave it as patina. The exterior A pillar trim on my CAD looks like a cheese grader, but still shiny, so I don't bother. When I find some good ones, I'll change them.

Posted on: 2017/12/9 14:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Fish'n Jim

"There are spray anti-corrosion preparations like CRC 06026 that you can use on the back side, but it has a shelf life and must be cleaned off and re-applied every couple years."

If this anti-corrosion spray is applied to the backside of the potmetal trim and then the pieces remounted on the car, do the protective properties last longer? Do they still require renewal? Does it interact with paint if moisture it introduced?

Steve

Posted on: 2017/12/10 12:10
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I suggest you contact someone from CRC tech service.
This was/is a defense (mil spec) product (updated tech from cosmoline days) that they use for storage of weapons, etc. There are other similar vapor protectants (VCI - volatile corrosion inhibitors). WD-40, et al, make these type products. You can search in the mil spec documents then find manufacturers of those numbers.
All I have is the label info and have used the SP400 product. I didn't use on or near painted surfaces. I'd be most suspect of staining on light colors rather than lifting. It's rather thick stuff.
There are other clear plastic type encapsulants, but no experience with those. (But a good idea, if UV resist.)
You really don't want water in contact with these type parts, if you can avoid it, coated or not. That's what wax helps with. Silicone oils will also do that but they migrate to paint surfaces and collect dust. Blow/dry out with air if you wet wash on vehicle. Moderns car "waxes" use hydrophobic polymeric films compatible with modern paint, not the typical carnauba(simoniz) or jojoba wax types. So needs to be suitable for chrome.

Posted on: 2017/12/11 10:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
May I suggest using Allback organic linseed oil available from Viking Sales in Victor,NY?http://www.silentpaintremover.com
This will seal the metal and not allow air or anything else to penetrate the pores of the metal. I am going to be using it soon on the Derham to stabilize the underside of car.
Henry used the Allback boiled linseed oil to paint his 55 Clipper which turned out looking very good as I recall.

Posted on: 2017/12/12 0:09
Stephen
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
linseed oil...then clear coat. car has been sitting this way for over a year or more now. no rust has come up.

trunk clear is pealing, but I think that was my fault as I didn't spray thick enough and then when I wet sanded I took too much off. every other part of car is sound. will sand and respray trunk lid at some point.

suggest several weeks or more for linseed to dry completely.

Posted on: 2017/12/12 11:23
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
The trick is to use the Allback organic raw linseed oil, not the boiled linseed as you did. Also very light, thin coats. Had a small area of rust show up on inner/outer inside bed rail of my Canyon two years ago so I lightly coated both sides of the area with the raw linseed oil and that stopped the rust dead it's tracks.
As it penetrates the area it seals it off and as Dave Czirr mentioned in a post on Hanks Clipper it turns onto a polymer as it dries.
This stuff is such a great preservative the National Park Service has specified the Allback organic linseed oil and linseed oil paint products to be used exclusively by the Park Service.

Posted on: 2017/12/12 21:49
Stephen
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Gentlemen

Thanks for all the good advice! The reason I ask is I'm planning on having a good solid Contour shipped from the western part of the country. Having seen what our moist WNY environment does to unprotected pot-metal within a few years, I intend to take steps to protect what is original and well-preserved on the car.

Removing and coating the backside of the pot-metal trim pieces one at a time is part of the plan along with frequent waxing. The organic raw linseed oil applied in light, thin coats and dried thoroughly sounds like a good plan.

Steve

Posted on: 2017/12/13 12:00
.....epigram time.....
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Good plan,make sure you purchase the linseed oil not the boiled linseed. I have also found that heating it to around 140F makes it that much more absorbable. I use an old double boiler to warm it.

Posted on: 2017/12/13 13:39
Stephen
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I wonder how Pentrol would work. It is suppose to soak into metal. I know it does good on rust. Saturate the surface with it.

Posted on: 2017/12/13 16:25
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved