Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 9 »

Re: New member, setting off on a crazy adventure... PICS!!!
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mustangduckk
See User information
Alright, we're at the airport on our way to the car! Should have some updates and pics tonight.

Posted on: 2017/12/15 7:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I can't wait; a real time reality show on Packardinfo. Keep us posted

Posted on: 2017/12/15 8:59
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Rats, should have asked how many miles on the odometer!

Posted on: 2017/12/15 16:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Let the mini series begin. Safe journey.
Wes

Posted on: 2017/12/15 23:05
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mustangduckk
See User information
Alright we made it to the farm. No ugly surprises on the car, except that we found out it has power brakes which was unexpected. The brakes seeemed to be frozen.

It was the back brakes that were stuck I think. We drug it out of the barn with a Mule and got it rolling. Managed to push it into the shop. We cleaned up the engine bay, pulled the spark plugs, and dumped a couple squirts of oil in the cylinders. Also put some extra oil in it, overfull trying to get oil in as much stuff as possible.

The plan for tomorrow is to drain the oil, drop the pan, and start trouble shooting the starting system.

Attach file:

jpeg  (236.76 KB)
169731_5a34bb1a5f4b0.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/12/16 1:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Actually it's rather uncommon to find a '53 Packard without power brakes. And I think your chances are about 100% that the power brake unit will be unserviceable after all this time. You should very seriously consider installing a rebuilt unit and new or rebuilt wheel cylinders, new hoses, perhaps the steel lines before you start on the road. You can get a rebuilt power brake unit on an exchange basis from either of the 2 major Packard vendors.

Posted on: 2017/12/16 9:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What O_D said and then some.

As some have found out the hard way the power brakes can be and have been very unforgiving when suddenly put back into service after a long slumber. They do not have a conventional piston master cylinder as manual or modern brakes use and rely on certain parts being in pristine condition. In spite of cleaning and new fluid etc there are rubber parts that must be changed and corrosion that can affect others all of which if neglected can lead to suddenly having no brakes. It has become increasingly clear that dirt, poor or no maintenance and the sudden placing of the unit back into service in a long sitting car is the common denominator of those that fail.

Rightly or wrongly the Bendix Treadlevac has developed a reputation of stop at one corner, coast thru the next. I hope you don't contribute any bad experiences.

Posted on: 2017/12/16 10:13
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
While you have the plugs out I would suggest doing a compression check on the beast.

It appears that this project looks somewhat similar to owing a house and having a wife. No matter how hard you work at it, the "Honey Do" list never gets any shorter.

P.S. Have fun and Keep Safe

Posted on: 2017/12/16 10:44
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mustangduckk
See User information
I am a little nervous about the brakes. I thought they were going to be manual, so I bought a manual master cylinder rebuild kit.

Also I've never worked on power brakes before. Anyone have a lead on power brake system rebuild kits that can be shipped to Oregon quickly?

Posted on: 2017/12/16 12:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I have used multiple dozens of Kanter's kits. Very satisfied. If you really want to do this get the deluxe kit with the new piston. That is very important. Somewhere on this site is a tutorial I did on rebuilding the Treadlevac units. I'm sure someone can post the link. Now that IS beyond my technical capabilities.

If you are uncertain about rebuilding it, get an exchange unit. The stakes are too high.

Posted on: 2017/12/16 13:26
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved