Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 174

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil in Intake Manifold
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

hynesjm
See User information
Hi All,

1941 super 8 with a fresh rebuild. Compression test seems to be good.

cyl-(PSI)
1---100
2---95
3---98
4---92
5---95
6---95
7---100
8---100

I just changed all the spark plugs because they were all coated in oil and the car was misfiring. The car only has about 10 hours of run time, ~90% at idle.

I do remember seeing some oil in the intake after a hot shutdown/restart with some oil smoke out the tailpipe, but in general the engine seems to run good with no obvious signs/smells of blow-by.

I do have a PCV hooked up from where the draft tube used to connect, but there doesn't seem to be any obvious signs of excessive oil re-circulation via the PCV vent, and the event mentioned above was before the PCV was hooked up (I think). It could be possible this is in fact the cause, but I keep thinking of the amount of oil I remember seeing in the intake.

Just wondering if there are any known causes unique to a super 8 that could cause oil getting into the intake manifold (i.e. a part left out during the rebuild, etc.) and cause plug fouling.

Posted on: 2017/12/13 19:46
 Top  Print 

Re: Oil in Intake Manifold
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
A breached diaphragm in the vacuum pump can let that happen.

What is your reason for idling so much? That is bad for any engine, but especially so for a fresh rebuild as the rings need lots of oil thrown up.

Posted on: 2017/12/13 21:23
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

hynesjm
See User information
Thanks for the Reply Ross.

I actually doubt I have *that* much idle time on the car. Probably more like 5 hours. Idle time is mostly just because I still have body panels off of the car and other projects going on, so yet to really get it on the road.

I think you might be on to something with the vacuum pump. It looked to be a fresh rebuild, but has been in a hot and dry environment for ~ 4 years, and on a shelf for who knows how long before that. I quickly took the tube from the fuel/vacuum pump to intake off and noticed some oil on the on the fuel/vacuum end of the tube. Nothing excessive, but I am assuming there should be *no* oil.

I would guess a diagnostic test would be to pull a vacuum from the inlet and plug the outlet and make sure it holds (I am sure that there is a diagnostic test in some packard literature one of the gurus could post)?

Posted on: 2017/12/13 23:17
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

hynesjm
See User information
So I pulled a vacuum on the vacuum pump side of the fuel/vacuum pump and it did not hold a vacuum, but, it wasn't a huge leak.

20-15 in-hg ~ 5 sec
15-10 in-hg ~ 15 sec
10-5 in-hg ~45 seconds
5-0 in-hg ~ 2 minutes

I think i'm going to loop the vacuum pump for now and "collect more data". I did suck out some oily fuel from the bottom of the manifold, but it seemed to be more gas than oil.

I guess I should also make sure the gas side of the pump isn't leaking oil into the fuel.

Posted on: 2017/12/19 23:00
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved