Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 166

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

Re: New member, setting off on a crazy adventure... PICS!!!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

danh
See User information
Freakin awesome, I love it!

Posted on: 2017/12/19 6:50
dan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Back in the early 1970s, I had my own crazy adventure moving a Packard from one state to another. Only I didn't even consider driving the car (which had been sitting un-used since about 1963). I was a Viet Nam veteran and I had no need whatsoever for thrill-seeking. I'd already had plenty of that. No. I decided to tow-bar the car. And I think I can safely say that I probably hold the world record for tow-barring a Packard.

I bought my 1956 Caribbean 5699-111X in Florida in the early 1970s and tow-barred this Caribbean convertible all the way from Florida to California... coast to coast. I was in college and on a budget. But it worked out perfectly... and no fears of failed brakes, electricals or other mechanical issues. I got it home... then got it running.

Of course this Caribbean was stolen from my barn years later along with a lot of parts. Last seen being described as "always having been in sunny California"... and missing the factory Lehigh A/C compressor and blower and with the engine compartment oddly painted all black. Alllllways in "sunny California"... ? A Caribbean that was delivered new in New England.?.. lived most of its life in Florida?... but in the world of old car skullduggery, reality is created by a guy with a microphone and a color catalogue... backed up by more guys in tuxedos. Put it in a nice glossy catalogue, make up a "history" and "provenance" ... and you can say anything in an auction... can't ya?

Attach file:

jpg  (264.77 KB)
1249_5a41af6e48523.jpg 1920X1214 px

Posted on: 2017/12/25 21:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Must confess to being a bit curious how the adventure is going. Believe the plan was to be home by Christmas but with an unknown car and some wicked weather along at least part of the route, maybe quite a nail biting adventure.

Posted on: 2017/12/26 10:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
I join you!

Tom

Posted on: 2017/12/26 10:55
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

NeedsRestoration
See User information
Nothing wrong with those post-war "small eight" Packards. While not a fan of UltraMatic, I drove my '51 convertible back and forth across the continent several times.

Of course the "trick" is to properly maintain a car. Hope we hear from these guys what happened - hopefully they followed the recommendations & advice you guys gave them. If you did, they had a non-eventual trip.

As an illustration of what even the post-war eight cyl. Packards were capable of - my mom ruined our '51 convert. by continuing to drive it after it developed a water leak. I found a complete engine & trans. out of a '54 ambulance (four barrel & 327 cu in) mickey-moused the governor on the UltraMatic so I had an instant convertor "lock up" at any speed over 23 mph. Drove it from the George Washington Bridge on the Hudson River, to the Barham Off-ramp of the Hollywood Freeway, in 2 and a half days, and I SELPT EACH NIGHT (doing around 80 mph most of the time) - and that was before the Interstate !) This was in August - so nice and warm crossing the desert - but again, properly maintained Packards are not capable of overheating . No - no need for an electric fuel pump - in those days the Ried Vapor Pressure of consumer-grade gasoline was much less than today.

Posted on: 2017/12/26 15:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
Seeing your avatar, it seems you got your car back? That would be a story in itself!

Posted on: 2017/12/27 16:34
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Well mustangduckk, what was the final out come and I hope you washed her before hitting the road.
Wes

Posted on: 2017/12/30 12:57
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dave
See User information
Hello mustangduckk you their, anyone knows if these guy made it or out there??????? send out the the Packard trackers.....

Posted on: 2018/1/2 17:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Just send up 3 flairs if you need a tow truck!

Posted on: 2018/1/11 10:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Over-due, presumed sunk?

Posted on: 2018/1/11 12:30
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved