Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 95

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Putting in a Generator
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Joshua Martin
See User information
I read that a jumper lead is neccassary during the installation of a generator... does that mean I take a random loose wire attach one end to the "a" and the other to the "b" terminal of the regulator? Please a step by step... if possible, Thanks again

Posted on: 2009/1/12 23:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Putting in a Generator
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yes. All u need is a short length of wire and touch it to the terminals for no more than 1 or 2 seconds. Do NOt HOLD IT ON THERE. Just 1 or 2 seconds.

BE SURE to check the manual to verify that it is the "A" and "B" posts.

When u touch the two posts u will see a small spark. That does it.

Posted on: 2009/1/12 23:25
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
All you have to do is have a short length of wire--use about the same size as that on A & B. Touch one end to A and hold it, then touch the other to B. There will be a spark when you touch B, after second or so remove wire and you're done.

Posted on: 2009/1/12 23:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
what the heck does that accomplish??

Posted on: 2009/1/13 10:02
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Correctly magnetizes the field poles to match the polarity of the battery.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 10:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
The reason for polarizing is to ensure the current from the new generator flows in the proper direction as before. If you DONT polarize, the points in the voltage regulator can stick and burn, battery could run down and the generator could be damaged. Most good rebuilders included polarizing instructions with generators and/or voltage regulators.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 11:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
He has not indicated what car or generator!!!

Check to be sure that the generator IN your car is right for the car!!!!

There are 2wo, countem 2, as in one two, different types of generators. A field ground generator and an armature ground generator. IIRC referenced type "A" and type "F".

********* THere are 2WO different polarizing procedures depending on the TYPE of GENERATOR. ********

I can not recall exactly what theprocedures are. LOOK IN THE F'in MAunal for the procedure. Be sure that the generator of one type has not been swapped (and therefore the reg. too) for a gen of the other type.

Best to go by generator number if possible. Otherwise internal inspection maybe necessary to determine generator type. All Delco generators i have worked on are armature ground. The field coild are regulated. AL generators come both ways. I don't know about others.

On 2 or 3 6v systems (AL and other non-Delco) i had to go in and change from field ground to armature ground (or visa versa) the generator because i did not have a replacement regulator of the appropriate type and converted the gen to match the reg.

It worked just fine for 10 years.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 16:40
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved