Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 127

Joe, TxGoat, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Unknown 1930 734 Speedster coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Steve that's easy to say now as a hindsight, but when they were in the middle of the great depression nobody knew where the end was (both of the depression as well as the company). You know how many car manufacturers folded in those years, and if you had the money you wouldn't buy such an flamboyant car.
The US population in 1930 was 123 million people. There were 113 734 cars built (over all the different body styles), so that was 1 734 car per 1,088,495 Americans!

Posted on: 2018/1/18 19:00
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi BDC

"...when they were in the middle of the great depression nobody knew where the end was..."

Quite true later on, but in the later months of 1929 when the 7th Series was first on the market through perhaps mid-1930, optimism still reigned supreme. Only gradually as the downturn, which was expected to be short-lived initially proved to have real momentum, did the gloomy distress set in. That distress was the subtext of the documents posted in the Packard-built Custom Car Records thread. Clearance of expensive, top-line customs became a real problem by the first anniversary of the market crash.

The custom body program for the 7th Series was absolutely the zenith of the most sublime offerings that ever would be. It was the last golden moments in time for the ethic that created the Packards we now hold as Classic.

Steve

Posted on: 2018/1/19 11:01
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
Well, car sort of appeals to me as well, although would be better with a little off of the top. It would've had head room for hats, even a top hat for those formal evenings.
Car is mounted on a turntable in a wooden floor. Wonder which building that was in? Probably was burned down in 1967-68.

Posted on: 2018/1/20 9:12
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
It does not appear that the coupe received a 6-inch extended cowl to the rear that the rest of the lineup received.

Posted on: 2018/1/20 9:59
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved