Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 135

Tobs, John Sauser, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Removing Gas Tank from a 23rd Series Deluxe Club
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

GDurgin
See User information
Hello Packard owners,

I am going to be removing the gas tank on my 1950 Packard Deluxe Club sedan and want to be prepared for any "Packard nuances" that I should be aware of. Other than disconnecting the fuel line and removing both support straps, is there something else I should keep in mind? For example, in looking inside the trunk I don't see any access to the fuel gauge wires, so I guess they are accessed under the trunk. I tried searching all the manuals, parts book and service bulletins and couldn't locate anything on gas tank removal best practices. Your suggestions and input, including any photos, is greatly appreciated.

G Durgin
Oakland, CA

Posted on: 2018/5/30 22:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Removing Gas Tank from a 23rd Series Deluxe Club
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
What I did was siphon out the gas into 5 gal cans. Find the junction where the wire from the sending unit connects along the frame and disconnect it. On mine near the rear tire.

The '40 has a pipe from the gas cap to a short rubber hose connector to the tank spout which needs to be undone, but you might not have that on a '50. After loosening the straps a bit, I put a board on my floor jack to support the tank and let it down gently. Once the straps are loose enough I can unhook on the front side of the tank.

Again that's for a '40 not a '50.

Posted on: 2018/5/31 0:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The sender wire is removed from the sender once the tank is down. The wire is a short length which exits the trunk via a grommeted hole in the rear of trunk floor near the left tail light. The short length should connect to the body loom via a Wade connector probably located inside the trunk very near to the hole. If the connecter has never had the wire removed it can be a real challenge to get the terminal loose so sometimes it is easier to just drop the tank a few inches and support it while disconnecting the wire at the sender terminal and leave the Wade connector undisturbed. If someone tried to remove the connector and damaged the wire there could be a splice instead.

If you are so inclined, some have also made an access hole in the trunk floor for future sender repair. Easily done while the tank is out. I did it on my 47 and other posters have done it on 22-23rd series. Here is how I did my 47 and I believe the method and dimensions used will work for the 50 but not having done a 50, cannot swear to the dimensions.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=175686#forumpost175686

Posted on: 2018/5/31 8:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Also if your tank has a drain plug, be very careful. I believe it is crimped to the tank which I'm thinking is 24 gauge steel and it will normally break loose before the plug will. So hold the housing to the plug before putting any torque on the plug.
Wes

Posted on: 2018/5/31 13:17
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

GDurgin
See User information
Thank you everyone for your informative comments. This is very helpful. I'll let you know how the gas tank removal goes and the condition of the original gas tank in my 1950 Packard.

G Durgin
Oakland, CA

Posted on: 2018/6/2 23:25
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved