Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 88

David Timberlake, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1947 Custom super 8 transmission
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

john verity
See User information
Looking for some guidance and advice regarding the overdrive transmission on my 47 super 8 custom club sedan.

I am finishing my garage shop restoration of this car, and am now able to drive it for the first time. I have many hours and lots of money in the new engine, new interior, new paint, and redone chrome.

Now that I can drive the car, it is obvious that the transmission is noisy and should have been rebuilt.

Two questions. 1. who has a rebuilt or good overdrive transmission, and
2. Does it make sense to sell the car running and driving with the noisy trans, and not put any more money into it?

The car is in Boise, Idaho.

Thanks for your input. John Verity

Posted on: 2018/6/29 15:36
 Top  Print   

Re: 1947 Custom super 8 transmission
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
I HAD A WORN PINION IN MY DIFFERENTIAL WHICH COULD BE WHAT YOU ARE HEARING. JACK UP THE REAR OF THE CAR AND PUT IT ON JACK STANDS. START THE ENGINE AND PUT IT IN GEAR AND LISTEN AFTER PEEKING UNDER THE CAR. THIS WILL HELP YOU DETERMINE WHERE THE NOISE IS COMING FROM.

WORN PINION GEARS ARE NOT UNUSUAL IN THIS CAR. THE HUGE ENGINE PUTS OUT A LOT OF TORQUE AND THE PROCEDURE FOR REPLACING THE PINION SEAL IS VERY PRECISE. IF NOT FOLLOWED, THE PINION BEARINGS WILL WEAR INTO AN "EGG SHAPE".

IF IT IS THE PINION GEAR YOU ARE IN LUCK. I HAD MINE WELDED AND MACHINED AND COST WAS ABOUT $150. IF YOU REMOVE THE CARRIER (WHICH YOU MUST DO TO GET THE PINION OUT) CHECK THE BEARINGS IN THE CARRIER AND REPLACE AS NECESSARY.

Posted on: 2018/6/29 17:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
BTW. Can you post some pics of your car. The coupe is one of my favorite models. The light body with the big engine...a gentleman's hot rod!!

Posted on: 2018/6/29 17:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Agree, it's a beautiful design.

Just asking, John, since V8 guys usually have no experience with your Packard overdrive, wouldn't this question be more likely to get better advice in the Post-War forum?

jack vines

Posted on: 2018/6/30 8:52
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

john verity
See User information
Thanks for the advice. It may be that the pinion is making the noise. I will jack up and listen as you suggested.

Do you know of a more modern rear end assembly that could be adapted to the 47 Packard? One that would allow use of stock wheels.

I installed a Mercury Marquis 9" rear in my 47 Hudson (after shortening the axles and axle tubes) with a great result.

The car is going to be buffed and detailed next week. I'll post some photos after that.

Thanks, John Verity, Boise

Posted on: 2018/6/30 10:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I wouldn't consider a substitute rear axle, the differential in a 1947 senior Packard is superbly designed, extremely rugged and parts are available. You're not going to do better.

Posted on: 2018/6/30 10:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
I agree. When I pulled my rear axles, I was impressed with the robust design. Everything was built like a heavy duty truck!

Posted on: 2018/6/30 13:14
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

john verity
See User information
John Verity here in Boise with the noisy transmission.

It has become pretty apparent that the rear end is the source of the noise, and not the transmission. Thanks to those of you who suggested the rear might be the problem.

Where can I buy a ring and pinion set, bearings etc? Where can I get a print out of how to go about rear end disassembly and proper set up with new parts?

One of you asked for some photos of the car. How do I post them to this forum?

Thanks for all of your help and advice.

John Verity, Boise, Idaho

Posted on: 2018/7/5 19:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"One of you asked for some photos of the car. How do I post them to this forum?"

John,

This Photo posting FAQ should help you in loading photos. If not, email them to me and I'll upload them for you - ozstatman@gmail.com

While Kanters, Max or maybe someone here could help with the rear end parts.

Little bit off topic but the '41 120 Coupe I had came from the Boise area. Owned for many years, 1961 to 2006, by a Dentist - Earl 'Doc' Gulley. Maybe you knew of Doc or the car?

Posted on: 2018/7/5 19:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
strongly urge you to contact Joe Santana - he just had his whole rear end gone through and certainly would be able to discuss from recent experience.

Posted on: 2018/7/5 19:32
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved