Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 98

michael biegas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Front Fender/Door Weather-stripping
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dave Cz
See User information
Question regarding the reassembly of the front fenders.
Background: I'm a first time poster but long time lurker. Up front I wish to compliment the community here for their knowledge, wisdom and helpfulness. I'm in the process of restoring a 55 400 that my Dad had bought new a very long time ago. We are now in the fitting phase before the final painting and reassembly and have a dilemma that may have been addressed before.

Two Issues:
Question #1: The lower pillar weather stripping/gasket the goes under the fender just in front of the door, appears to push the fender proud of the cowl and door by a good 1/8" - ?" . Compared to the original gasket material, the new material (from the popular supplier) appears to be too dense to allow the fender to sink sufficiently into the material. The solution appears to be to trim the material to make it thinner and not to push the fender out. Has anyone else run into this issue.

Question #2: At the same location. (see accompanying diagram if I can successfully include (remember I'm first time poster). Are there one or two weather strips? One located under the fender just in front of the door. And a second, bonded to the door itself along the vertical door edge, pressing against the fender weather stripping once the door is closed.
The parts diagram (from a '56) shows no second gasket (weather stripping) while a clone car I have has two different gaskets installed. Is the 55 different then as diagramed? Comments? One or two?

Regards Dave

Attach file:

jpg  (161.14 KB)
1321_5b363d9f609a5.jpg 1169X850 px

Posted on: 2018/6/29 9:11
 Top  Print 

Re: Front Fender/Door Weather-stripping
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The replacement gasket material is sometimes firmer than the original. The 51-54 front door/fender gasket have the same issue. Some people have had to position the gasket on the A-pillar, put the fender back in position and then mark the gasket with a paint pen to trace the fender contour, and then notch the gasket a bit along that marked line so the fender sits in the correct position again.

Posted on: 2018/6/29 10:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
According to the manual the identical weatherstrip application was used on 55 and 56 so I would go with the diagram. The piece glued to the door does overlap the fender piece by about 6" at the top around the curve and then stops. With the sudden move of production to Conner Ave early 55's were known to have some poor build quality so it is possible something didn't fit well. Maybe an extra piece of weatherstrip was added at the factory to the clone car or perhaps someone replaced the weatherstrip and didn't stop it at the door curve.

There was an issue of leaks and wind noise on hardtops and an additional short formed weatherstrip piece was introduced in 56 to be installed just above the vent windows. That piece may not appear on 55 hardtops but I believe it could be dealer installed if yours has it. Details are in the Sept 56 Service Counselor Vol 30 #9.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL30NO9.pdf

Posted on: 2018/6/29 11:31
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Dave Cz,
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '55 Four Hundred in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2018/6/29 15:23
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dave Cz
See User information
Thank You Gentlemen; Great information. It is not only helpful to know what, but also to know why.
dcc

Posted on: 2018/6/30 6:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Dave (czar),
for including your '55 Four Hundred Hardtop Coupe in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2021/3/29 15:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved