Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 105

CarFreak, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

engine wont turn over
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
After all the heat and the threat of bad weather, I went to the car today( Finally!) Battery was low. (Forgot to take it home). Took it home and charged it up, 6.3 volts. Went back to the car and all I get is a click! ????

Posted on: 2018/7/7 14:46
 Top  Print 

Re: engine wont turn over
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
the click seemed to come from the right side of the car, The switch on the carb? I did not have a screwdriver but I tried to wiggle the connections to no avail still only a click

Posted on: 2018/7/7 14:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The click is probably the solenoid and it may be an echo from the right. Nothing stock I can think of over there would click.. Have you verified battery voltage again after it was reinstalled since charging and did you clean the terminals to bright and shiny when you connected them. Even though you charged the battery there is a possibility that a cell has died and you only have a surface charge that can't put out any amps. I just went thru this on the 47 after it sat for a year.

If you have a voltmeter measure the voltage at the battery posts or at the solenoid as you try to start the car. If it is still 6.3 with ign off but drops more than 1/2 - 3/4 volt or so when you hit the starter the battery or a dirty terminal is suspect.

Posted on: 2018/7/7 15:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
I did not recheck the voltage after I reinstalled the battery. The interior lights were bright as normal. so I assumed voltage was normal. However the lights went out when I hit the starter. I cant do any checking as I turn it over, no one around but me. The battery is an optima

Posted on: 2018/7/7 15:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Optimas are less prone to bad cells but they are not immune. With the lights going out it is suspect the battery has failed or else one of the connections has an oxidation buildup.

If your meter doesn't have any accessory clips I would get some clip leads at the store -- the kind with alligator clips on each end. Many hardware stores have a package with 3 or 4 different color leads about 20" long. Hook up your meter in such a way that you can face it or lay it on the windshield to be visible while you crank. Optionally you can keep the meter near the battery and move the accelerator linkage on the side of the engine to activate the switch as you stand to the side and read the meter.

I really suspect the voltage is going to go low. If it does stay high and you still only hear a click then that would indicate something has happened to the starter or solenoid.

Posted on: 2018/7/7 15:54
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If the interior lights stayed off after the attempt then one of the battery posts has flash-oxidized at the first attempt to pass a large current. Sandpaper the posts and the mating surfaces of the cable clamps then make sure they are on nice and tight.

Posted on: 2018/7/7 16:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
I only have a voltage meter. two contacts they have to be held by hand. the lights came back up after the attempt. the battery contacts are clean as a whistle. I always disconnect the battery when she is not in use. didn't get much time from this battery. if that is the problem. oh it did charge very high amps when connected to the charger. never did that before. stayed there too but volts went up from 5.something to 6.3. in about an hour

Posted on: 2018/7/7 16:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Went back to the storage unit to get the battery. It was at 5.95volts. it is now on the charger charging at 6amps

Posted on: 2018/7/7 16:44
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

charlieshot
See User information
Hello Brians51
I too had a dead optima battery, and the mfg. sent me this info, and it worked. good luck.Sorry to hear you are having issues with your battery. We occasionally hear from customers who have had trouble recharging their batteries, once they have been deeply-discharged (often well below 5.25 volts). The good news is that OPTIMA batteries are far more resilient to this type of deep-discharge than traditional flooded batteries, which can often be ruined after such an incident. The bad news is, not every charger is capable of recharging a deeply-discharged battery, whether it is an OPTIMA battery or any other brand.

Many battery chargers have very basic and outdated charging parameters that prevent them from delivering current to any battery, if it doesn't register above a minimum voltage level, typically around 5.25 volts. Likewise, any load test performed on a deeply-discharged battery will result in a failed test, even if the battery subsequently works fine and functions normally once it is properly-recharged.

To recover a battery using one of these older technology chargers, you can wire a second, fully-charged automotive battery (6V+) to the deeply-discharged battery in parallel (+ to + and - to -). Then hook up the charger to the deeply-discharged battery, setting the charger at 10 amps. Charge for 2 hours, monitoring frequently. When the deeply-discharged battery reaches 5.25 volts or more, remove the second battery and continue charging the deeply-discharged battery until fully recharged- about 6.3 - 6.4 volts.

Typically we recommend charging at a relatively low current, such as 2 amps, but when the battery has been deeply-discharged, some sulfation of the battery plates may have occurred. If you charge at a higher rate (up to 10 amps), the higher current will help to break up this sulfation. If you have an automatic charger, let it run until the charger indicates charging is complete. If you have a manual charger, estimate charging time by multiplying the capacity (amp hours or Ah) of the battery by 1.2 for a rough estimate of charging time in hours.

In most cases these steps will recover a deeply-discharged battery. It's okay for the deeply-discharged battery to get slightly warm during the charging process, but hot to the touch means there's a short and the process should be discontinued.
Warranties are handled by the original retail location with original receipt. Most retail locations register your sale with your phone number and can track that purchase.

The Optima factory warranty policy requires a receipt from the original purchaser.
Your purchase receipt:
1. Establishes the beginning date of service.
2. Identifies you as the original purchaser
3. Identifies that the battery is used in a consumer (not commercial) application.
4. Identifies the sale as a retail purchase.
Without this there is no way to verify that the battery was purchased new, never been used.

Thank you,
Mary Jo
Optima Customer Service

Posted on: 2018/7/7 17:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Thank you for the information. My charger is new and only charges 6 volts at a 6 amp setting. The battery is now charging at a little under 5 amps. scratch that, now at 4.5amps. Hopefully this will work. Thank you to all. Brian

Posted on: 2018/7/7 18:15
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved