Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 132

soulrenovation, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: engine wont turn over
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
After getting the charging rate down to 3.6amps (The charger says the battery is 75% charged.) it started the car. after a 15 min drive (To the car wash.) it almost didn't start. voltage was down to 6.1 volts. Went back up to charging at 6 amps when I put it back on the charger. in 20 mins it was back down to 3.8 amps. drove her two 20 min trips with an hour charging in between and when I got home it would not start the car. I am gonna leave it on the charger ( Its charging at 5.9 amps) till I go to bed tonight. I am thinking I need a new battery. Maybe it just needs more charging. Maybe the next 6 hours will tell the tale. Brian, Bye the way ,since I wrote this the rate is about 5.2Amps

Posted on: 2018/7/8 15:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
I have four antique vehicles with four Optima batteries. I have noticed with these batteries that if they are not in consistent use they will run down, sometimes they will take a new charge, hold it, and sometimes would get the same symptoms you you are experiencing. Fortunately I believe these have a three year warranty. Over they years have always purchased through Auto Zone, so they have a record of the purchases, and if under warranty, immediately get a new one. Also sometimes there is a small round white date sticker on the side of the battery, and if that is still within warranty, sometimes the seller will not ask questions and just do the exchange.

Posted on: 2018/7/8 19:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Might want to check if the car is charging the battery. You should read about 7.2 volts across the battery while the engine is running at a fast idle. With the trips you describe, the battery should have been able to easily start the car.

Posted on: 2018/7/8 19:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Thank you for the tip. I will try that in the morning. I thought the car should have finished off the charge as well. The battery is now charging at 3.6 amps

Posted on: 2018/7/8 20:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Checkout the Service Manual on this WEB sitehttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/EngineDiagnosis.pdf

Charging starts on page 17, maybe you can find your problem with this, also at the end of the manual is a troubleshoot guide.
Good luck.
Wes

Posted on: 2018/7/8 22:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
With the car running at fast idle, voltage is any where from 7.1 to 7.8 depending on engine rpm. (Its hard to hold both contacts on the terminals and rev the car up without dropping the meter into the fan blades.)(Just missed!) I am pretty sure its the battery. My fading memory recalls that this battery is not all that new. not sure how old but surely over 3 years. My guess it does not owe me a thing. Seems to me it was a tad sluggish on restart last year. Brian

Posted on: 2018/7/9 8:02
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just take the battery to the auto parts store in get it load tested. That really is the quickest way to see if a battery is going bad. Most stores will do this for free.

Posted on: 2018/7/9 15:52
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Yeah, Did that today. New battery, problem solved. Thank you everyone. Brian

Posted on: 2018/7/9 18:22
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved