Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 153

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil Sending Unit for 51-54 idiot light
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Hi all,

The oil sending unit listed in the parts-x appears to no longer be available. Does anyone know what sender I can get that will work? This is for the idiot light, not a gauge.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2018/8/1 19:45
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Re: Oil Sending Unit for 51-54 idiot light
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If Ross doesn't see this post to supply the number he uses check out a Napa OP6742 which is rated at 6psi or the OP6741 which is rated at 15psi. Both are stud terminal, 1/8 NPT thread. There is an old post that says the x-ref item is rated at 20 psi and that it flickers heavily or stay on at idle. 15psi might too but would give a higher safety margin or warning than the 6psi.

Posted on: 2018/8/1 20:38
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
My list sez OP6415

Posted on: 2018/8/2 5:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The OP6415 has a rating of 3 to 8.3 psi and same 1/8-27 NPT thread so the 6 psi OP6742 switch would be a good match. The downside to the 6415 is the terminal which Napa calls a button and would require something new for the Packard wire end. Not sure exactly what the terminal looks like that fits over the button but maybe some sort of spring clip.

Posted on: 2018/8/2 10:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
That is a strange connection on OP6415. 2 psi difference makes me think the OP6742 would be OK. Otherwise I could solder a wire lead on OP6415 and put a connector on it. I'll get the OP6742 since that is the easiest option and report it in the parts x-ref after testing.

Thanks!

Posted on: 2018/8/2 10:19
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Napa has some replacement leads for various switches and whatever the button takes is probably among them. If you go with the 6415 I would pick up one of the replacement connectors and splice it to the Packard wire in place of the ring terminal rather than try any kind of soldering at the switch. The button looks to be a huge heat sink and by the time it was hot enough to hold solder the switch would probably be damaged.

Posted on: 2018/8/2 10:45
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Photo of OP6415 wire connection from NAPA website.

Attach file:

jpg  (10.95 KB)
34287_5b6340e2a738a.jpg 400X400 px

Posted on: 2018/8/2 12:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
A normal female spade connector fits.

Posted on: 2018/8/2 20:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Went with the OP6742 from Napa. It fit fine even though it does not look like the bigger one that was on the car. Light went out after starting the car and appears to be working perfectly! Thanks! I will add it to the Parts X-Ref.

Posted on: 2018/8/22 20:17
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved