Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 115

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1952 Packard Mayfair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
I just finished watching a movie on TCM. It was called "Sudden Fear" starring Joan Crawford, Gloria Graeme, and Jack Palance. It was made in 1952 and featured 1952 Packards. At the end of the film Jack is chasing Joan ( who he thinks is Gloria) trying to run her down with a 1952 Packard 250 Mayfair Convertible. Needless to say his driving was a bit careless, he overcorrects on a turn and smashes the right front fender into a building or wall. Well the headlamp pops out of the fender but is still lit! Did Packard use Autolite headlamps as OEM in 1952? I actually felt pain when he smashed that fender! But the worst is yet to come as he crashes the Packard while finally running over Gloria. Car is on its right side and steam from busted radiator is rising out of the wreckage. Oh well from 1000 Mayfairs Convertibles made in 1952, that leaves 999 left. I don't think I'll watch that movie again.

Posted on: 2018/8/31 21:39
"I have a great memory for forgetting things"
Lee Chan
 Top  Print 

Re: 1952 Packard Mayfair
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
For clarification, there is no such thing as a Mayfair Convertible, period.

The Mayfair was only the hardtop. This is a Convertible Coupe. Nothing personal, just on a personal mission to stamp out this misnomer, that has propagated for years.

Also, the is no such thing as a Pacific Converible either, still only hardtop.

Attach file:

jpg  (178.92 KB)
1_5b8ab49955086.jpg 1061X1563 px

Posted on: 2018/9/1 10:41
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
You did not mention the beautiful black Patrician driven by Joan, a very wealthy single woman. It was shown in full side and rear views. I look for Packards as I watch the old films on TCM. I also cringed when Jack smashed the Packard.

Posted on: 2018/9/1 11:19
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
Hi Bigkev,
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend.
I guess the Mayfair Convertible misnomer is very prevalent on the internet.
Guess the internet is similar to paper, it won't move when anything is written on it.

Attach file:

png  (436.50 KB)
11379_5b8b4bd0e70b2.png 750X1334 px

Posted on: 2018/9/1 21:25
Lee Chan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
My parents 52 Mayfair was twilight taupe metallic (bottom) and sunset red metallic (top). I learned how to hotwire that car when I was 14 and taught myself how to drive. Pic is me and a girlfriend taken when I was 16. It was a great car to learn in.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.91 KB)
23_5b8b99a795aab.jpg 364X544 px

Posted on: 2018/9/2 3:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Clay
See User information
Hi Randy, you still look the same! Did the young lady become your wife?
Was the 1952 Mayfair the Packard that made you a Packard collector?
I fell in love with a 1941 120 a neighbor owned. It was two tone, sorta tan and brown combo. I'd run down to the street and watch him drive by.

Posted on: 2018/9/2 7:12
Lee Chan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
When a new hardtop arrived in the showrooms then, it had better have an evocative name! GM started that with first Coupe de Ville, Riviera, Holiday then Bel Air and Catalina.

On the other hand, convertibles were considered special enough in and of themselves so not to need an evocative name to identify them. Other than 'Eldorado', none of the occasional uses of specific identifiers such as "Skylark" or "Fiesta" had any longevity.

Steve

Posted on: 2018/9/2 7:42
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved