Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 139

Tobs, Jack Vines, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Radiator removal, water pump replace?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Roundsy
See User information
My '50 had a leak in the top tank of the radiator so my wife and I just spent a couple hours getting it out so I can find out how much to repair it. Whoever had it out last really made a mess of things and put it back together kind of half assed. I have not worked on it myself much before now so I'm a little disappointed to see things like this.
Anyway, should I replace the water pump and try to check the infamous tube in the motor I keep reading about? The car had overheating problems when I got it but it seems to stay cool now. I realize this is my choice I guess I'm asking what others would do. I've only put a few hundred miles on it. I don't know much of it's history.

Posted on: 2018/9/30 15:06
 Top  Print   

Re: Radiator removal, water pump replace?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just my two cents but since you have the radiator out of the way and do not know the history I would go ahead and examine the pump and tube for peace of mind if nothing else. Whether you need a new water pump is an unknown but they are items that have a nasty habit of failing at very inconvenient times.

If you do decide to go thru the pump I would also check rebuild prices vs getting new. Kanter has new but I don't know which engine you have. He has repros for some engines and NOS for others. Either way it may be cheaper to replace rather than rebuild. If you replace now, that would also give you a core which if a rebuild turns out to be about the same price, you could do that at another time and then have a spare.

One other thing with the radiator out is to examine the rubber in the front motor mount. It could be deteriorated and squashed flat. It is fairly easy to change with the added room from the missing radiator. Even if the rubber is serviceable you still may need to put a floor jack with a piece of wood as a platform under the oil pan toward the front of the engine and lift the engine slightly in the mount for clearance to access one of the bolts holding the water pump.

Posted on: 2018/9/30 15:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
Coincidentally, I am doing this job right now on my 1949 Series 23 Deluxe Eight sedan. I bouoght the water pump from Kanter. I took the radiator to the radiator shop for a cleaning and checkup, and bought all new hoses. I'm doing all this because the water pump was noisy and the fan blades showed some "wiggle" when checked.

I agree with all HH56 says, and would add that the grille center must be removed to get the water distribution tube out for inspection. It was clean and clear this time, but in previous similar jobs I have found the back of that tube packed full of rust and dirt, so I considered it worthwhile to go ahead.

I'm taking advantage of the disassembled status to clean, paint, and detail engine parts I can't normally reach.

Good luck with your project.

Posted on: 2018/10/2 5:13
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Roundsy
See User information
I am replacing the pump with one from Kanter, now that I figured out what motor it is. I'm hoping the guy can save the radiator. It looked pretty rough. I will also clean up a few ares while waiting for parts. This car is showing me new surprises with every turn and I hope it goes back together well and nothing else breaks for a while. Thanks for the responses.

Posted on: 2018/10/2 11:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I just had my Series 23 radiator removed and had the radiator shop put in a new higher efficiency core. This added another $200 to the job but it was worth the effort. I wish I had checked the coolant distribution tube but did not wish to pull the grill off. I previously had replaced the water pump with a new one and put in new hoses and thermostat.

Posted on: 2018/10/2 11:59
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved