Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
43 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 38

BigKev, Phil_Radford, Oldcaddies , Spencer B., Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Steering floating
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I like Diamondbacks on my 400 - I purchased them thru a Packard club that advertises in Packard club publication. I too got fed up with Coker. I drive a lot and have taken several long trips. Minn. NY, Virginia, New Jersey etc.
Radials will get deductions at shows, but they are worth it.

Posted on: 2018/9/28 18:59
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
I have 48 Deluxe sedan. My car is all original with little maintenance over the years. After addressing the most pressing issues I replace 3 rear shocks and leaf springs.Replaced 12 year old tires with Coker bias ply. The old tires were not cracked but tread was worn and I had patched two tires that had nails in them. Dramatic improvement in handling and ride. Steering was much improved. Single hand steering on interstate highway.

Posted on: 2018/9/28 21:41
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
L78 tires are sometimes a bit too wide for postwar Packards. I had a set on my 1953 Patrician and could barely get the rears on and, in fact, it was a "press fit" to do so!

Posted on: 2018/9/29 0:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
I have L78-15's on my 53 Packard, I cannot remove the tire from the rear wheel well even with the wheel covers off, letting the air out and struggling mightily rocking the tire that's trapped between the body and brake drum will usually get the tire(s) out. Reverse the procedure to install the tires. BUT, I do like the looks of the L78/15 when compared to the G78/15 tires on my '51 Packard. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2018/9/29 15:53
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
These are the American Classic Radial tires I have on my 54. They have a narrow tread and a pie crust edge similar to the period bias ply tires. They look great, and steer at low speed with much reduced effort compared to the wide tread cheap radial tires I had on before. But they are for sure not inexpensive.

Attach file:

jpg  (286.57 KB)
1_5bafe94c00d13.jpg 1920X933 px

Posted on: 2018/9/29 16:06
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

J-P
See User information
Thank Fred.
I think I know which way to go now with the tires. I will check the price of radial Diamondback P235/75-15 white walls, vs Coker. However, many on the forum don't seem to be satisfied with Coker. So I still need to fine tune my research as the whole package is expensive.
As for my front suspension, I refilled the front shock absorbers. However, as I bounced the car on the left side, the shock absorber leaked a lot. On the right side, after I refilled the shock absorber, I could not bounce the car a lot. The shock absorber is almost stuck and leaks as well. So I am in for a rebuild!
I have contacted Max Merritt and Apple Hydraulics so far for price and availability. I will contact kanter as well.
Any suggestion or recommendation is welcome.
Have a good evening.
J-P

Posted on: 2018/10/8 20:37
J-P
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved