Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 129

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Opening behind battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Hello!

New to the forums and first time Packard owner (49 Deluxe 8/2262-9).

I've been searching for the answer to what might be a basic question and decided to ask because I wasn't finding it. Why is there an access panel behind the battery to the wheel well? Follow up: is there supposed to be something that covers/seals this?

Thank you!

Posted on: 2018/10/13 13:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Opening behind battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
It is to help keep the battery cool. There should be a weather seal around it to seal to the back of the battery.

Posted on: 2018/10/13 13:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Thanks for the quick reply! Very interesting... I'll make sure that's sealed up then once I get the battery in.

Thanks again!

Posted on: 2018/10/13 13:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The side of the battery is exposed to the air thru the opening and the seal consists of a strip of L shaped rubber around the opening on the upper part of the inner panel plus (on a 47) a section which is fastened on the bottom portion of the inner panel to complete the rectangle. The battery side presses against the extended rubber lip to form the seal. The inner panels may be slightly different on later models but I believe the seal was essentially the same on all Clipper based bodies 41 thru 50.

I was unable to find any short lengths of L shaped rubber available at retail in the correct size for all dimensions but there is a square U channel available from McMaster-Carr and maybe MSC or others that is the correct 1/8 thickness. McMasters number is 8507K47. By ordering a 10' length of the channel and cutting off the "B" leg of the U shown in the illustration the remaining L shape is almost the perfect size to match the original. The original rubber was stapled to the metal but other ways will be needed to fasten the new rubber to the inner fender if you need to replace the seal. 10' is enough to replace all rubber on the 47 inner fenders but unsure on the later cars since the inner panels are a bit different.

Here is a photo of a 47 fender and while the inner panels may vary on the 49 I believe the rubber configuration and mounting is the same.

Attach file:

jpg  (131.50 KB)
209_5bc2490ebf8b6.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (65.25 KB)
209_5bc2491b4308c.jpg 1454X874 px

Posted on: 2018/10/13 14:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PennyPackard
See User information
Great info! Thanks a ton for the help, I'll have to check out the condition of my rubber if it exists and then check out those sources for replacement.

Posted on: 2018/10/13 15:37
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved