Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1953 Packard - Vancouver BC Canada
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

VancouverCanuck
See User information
Hello, I haven't posted in a while. I am from Vancouver, Canada...my husband is new to working on cars and cannot get his 53 started. We have come close...it turns slowly and sputters and then we kill the battery. He is ready to get rid of it and I feel really bad for him that it didn't work out. I think he feels pretty defeated at this point. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a mobile mechanic in Vancouver, Canada or general area who might be willing to come have a look. I'd love to surprise him and get it started. I've phoned around but everyone wants me to tow it in. At this point hubby doesn't want to spend the money because he doesn't know if it's worth it. If I could pay someone for an hour or two of their time just to get their opinion that would be awesome. It's hard to even find mechanics that work on these type of engines. I've phoned around and no luck. It's just a thought and if we can't get it going I guess we will part it out.

Here's the link to our last attempt at starting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7U-X1g_cOc

Also, I apologize to anyone who has replied to my earlier posts to whom I didn't respond. I'm new to forums and I didn't check the box to be notified of new posts! I appreciate your help. Thank you!

Posted on: 2018/11/20 18:07
 Top  Print   

Re: 1953 Packard - Vancouver BC Canada
Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
One source of local help would be to contact the Vintage Car Club of Canada, which has a chapter in your area. They probably can give you a contact for someone who works on old cars.

Your problem shouldn't be that hard to find. The engine cranks over so you either are not getting spark or not getting fuel. To narrow it down, try a couple of tests.
Try spraying a little starting fluid down the carb. If the engine starts (even for a few seconds), then you know that you are not getting fuel and the problem is with the carburetor or fuel pump or possibly a plugged fuel line.
If it doesn't start, take off a spark plug wire and hold it 1/8" from one of the nuts on the top of the engine. Use a rubber glove or insulated pliers to hold the wire or you may get shocked. Crank the engine and you should see a bright blue spark jump between the wire and nut. If there is no spark, then your problem probably is in the distributor or coil. Make sure your points are opening and closing. Also make sure your condensor is well grounded.

Posted on: 2018/11/21 0:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
You might try contacting the Pacific NW region of PAC as they have some members in the lower mainland area.
Use the contact link on their website.

Pacific NW Packards

Posted on: 2018/11/21 4:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Motor sounds like it is turning over kind of slow. Make sure you have really thick battery cables 0 gauge and the battery is in good condition. Make sure the connections are clean as well.

Posted on: 2018/11/21 11:22
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

VancouverCanuck
See User information
Thank you everyone for your reply and the information. I believe we have tried all of those things. I've mentioned the battery cable a few times to my husband but he is pretty sure that the cable is ok. As best as I recall we have already done everything suggested (new battery, spray into carb, spark test)...it's been awhile but I'm pretty sure we did all of those things. We seem to be over our heads here so I'll try those contacts you suggested.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted on: 2018/11/22 10:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved