Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
189 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 186

Dennis Miller, Joe, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Twin Ultramatic Range?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
Tim,
As far as converting, I agree, and have been there- done that. In 2002, I bought another 56J with Ultra transmission, which came with a trunk full of misc Ultra parts. I got the motor started pretty easly, backed it up and pulled forward a few times, and decided no more Ultramatic for me. So I used a TH400 conversion available at the time from Jack Nordstrom in Texas. After restoration and 41,000 miles of driving pleasure, I sold the car, and the TH400 was still working beautifully. AFAIK, it still is. The kit even came with a shift quadrant to match the Th400 shift pattern.

If I were to do another Ultra conversion today, no question I'd follow in a couple of others' footsteps here and go with a 700R tranny. To drop the RPMs with the above TH400, I replaced the original 3.07 rear end with an AMC 2.53. But that would not be necessary with a 700R, due to its .7 overdrive.

When right, the Ultra is OK, but even my old friend John Brian said they generally need rebuild about every 50,000 miles. I also do not particularly care for the personality of the Ultra, in that it seems to have a mind of its own when it comes to upshift and downshift; the driver is simply along for the ride :)

Posted on: 2013/12/7 13:26
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

J-P
See User information
Hi,
I bought a 1950 Custom Touring Sedan, and it appears that the Ultramatic transmission has been replaced by a TH400 but the column quadrant is still Ultramatic shifting indicator. Would you happen to have Jack Nordstrom address in Texas? I would like to know if he still has the correct column quadrant which went with the kit.
Please let me know.
Regards,
J-P

Posted on: 2018/11/28 9:48
J-P
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is contact info from the 56 Golden Hawk website but I have no idea if it is current. I believe most of his conversions were for V8 and Stude products so was unaware he had any indicators for Packards, particularly the S8 version. The only ones I remember were for the TorqueFlite conversions and as far as I know, those conversions are no longer available.

If the indicators are available or you find someone else who has them would you please post the info. I believe indicators even with the current 700R4 conversions have been lacking.

Attach file:

jpg  (24.10 KB)
209_5bfeb325b6378.jpg 790X208 px

Posted on: 2018/11/28 10:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

J-P
See User information
Thank you.
I will contact Jack and also continue to dig information on the conversion.
Have a great Holiday Season.
J-P

Posted on: 2018/12/15 15:33
J-P
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved