Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 111

Ozstatman, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Good price, considerations for 1936 Packard 120 Luxury Touring Sedan
Just popping in
Just popping in

Dconnor
See User information
I'm considering my first classic car purchase, and this is my first post, so please bear with me...

The car is a 1936 Packard 120 Luxury Touring Sedan, maroon, very well restored and in good running condition. I have only seen (many) pictures - have not seen it in person. The owner has provided lots of details about the condition and restoration. THe car is in another state, so I can't easily get to it at the moment to see/drive it. I'm in the process of locating a mechanic that specializes in classic cars to inspect it for me.

My questions for the group:

- I haven't been able to find any good valuation guides. Can anyone point me to one OR weigh in on a) what you think would be a "fair" price, and b) what you think would be (from my perspective) a good deal on a car like this.

- What are the key questions I should be asking before I buy?

- WHat else should a first-time Packard buyer of this vintage know?

FYI, one of the uses of the car will be for a small business driving wedding couples.

Thanks much!!

Posted on: 2018/12/1 21:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Good price, considerations for 1936 Packard 120 Luxury Touring Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
First, since you intend to use it for hire, you will not be able to get antique car insurance.

"Well-restored" cam mean different things to different people. The Packard crowd generally sticks closely to originality. If it's been rodded, then I don't know where to start.

A 120 touring sedan is a "Junior" line car, produced in fair volume. Parts are not a call away like "catalog cars" (Model A, 55-57 Chevy, etc) but reasonably available. That also means a fair number survive and it is neither very rare nor very valuable - that's not meant as a knock on the car, just a fact.

The interior should be a well-tailored wool. An inauthentic upholstery job is all too common.

Local show awards mean it has shiny paint and little more. Packard Club, Packards International, AACA awards mean it has been seen by knowledgeable judges.

Others can comment more accurately on market price, but I'd put a broad band of $12 - 30k without more info.

Posted on: 2018/12/2 9:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Please advise location. This website is a vast network, we should have no problem finding the right contact.
As to valuation, we hesitate until more details and photos are provided.
There is a 37-120 limo on the market in fort worth texas that would be worth considering as it is a 138"wb limo, much better suited for commercial purposes

Posted on: 2018/12/2 9:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Is this the one on eBay with a buy it now of $89k? Very nice car but unrealistic price, IMHO.

Posted on: 2018/12/2 10:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Below is a screen grab from NADA Vintage car values for a 1936 120B Touring Sedan.
https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1936/Packard/120B/4-Door-Touring-Sedan/Values

Advice on what to ask when buying a car. "Mr. Seller, if you were not selling this car, then what would be your next project with it."

Best of luck finding your first Packard.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.19 KB)
436_5c0408759783c.jpg 993X364 px

Posted on: 2018/12/2 11:29
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Dconnor

If the '36 120 luxury touring sedan you are considering is this one advertised for $75K:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/1936-packard-120-luxury/6729398457.html

It is a correctly restored '36 120 but extremely overpriced. I'll go out on a limb, my observation of multiple restored '35-'37 120 touring sedans offered over the past few years typically are between $20K-$25K. The seller's $75K asking price is in the price range for Senior model Super Eight and Twelves sedans.

As a recommendation, take the time to familiarize yourself with the Packard models that appeal to you for each series and understand their place in the market of that time. Next, survey the asking and sale prices for those that change hands now, taking condition into account. When you have a finer understanding and framework for appropriate values, be ready to act on a purchase when the right car appears. It will take some time, but you'll be happier in the long run. Good luck with your search, don't hesitate to ask for help and assistance as you proceed.

Steve

Posted on: 2018/12/3 17:12
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Dconnor

Welcome to the Packard site. I am also quite new to Packard, having purchased a '39 Six about 3 years ago. Since then I have learned a lot about the fine pedigree of the Packard automobile and the company who made them, mostly from the vast knowledge network of the members on Packard info. I researched Packards for months on the internet and winnowed through literally hundreds of sales listings before actually going out and kicking tires on 'real' vehicles. The car I ended up buying was advertised as a 120 and based on that, I went to view at it. Armed with all the different models wheel base measurements, the first thing I did was measure the for-sale car and it was 122", which excluded it from being a 120. It also had the seller doing some serious backpedaling and we then came to an agreement on price once it was established that the car was a Six. Had I not done my homework, I would undoubtedly have paid a premium price for an 'other than advertised' Packard, after which, it would have been too late. All the forgoing advice comes from folks who have bought one or more Packards and they certainly know of what they speak. My point is to be careful, take your time, research the heck out of your 'target car' and, as hard as it is with Packards, try not to fall in love with a prospect car, because as good as something can look on a buying visit, the list of what can be wrong with an +/-80 year old vehicle, is pretty significant. Best of luck in your search.

Posted on: 2018/12/3 18:07
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
[quote]
58L8134 wrote:
Hi Dconnor

If the '36 120 luxury touring sedan you are considering is this one advertised for $75K:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/d/1936-packard-120-luxury/6729398457.html

Yes, the Craigslist car ($75,000) is the same car as listed on eBay at BIN for $89,000. Both listings show the same photos and a location in Colbert, WA.

Attach file:

jpg  (120.70 KB)
436_5c05ce4bedd96.jpg 1400X749 px

Posted on: 2018/12/3 19:46
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Dconnor
See User information
Thanks to all for the excellent feedback, recommendations, and advice.

And yes, the car a couple of you found is indeed the one in question. It sounds like the price is quite high, at least 2x if not more.

I recognize there is much I don't know. I wish there were more Packards in my area (Portland, OR) that I could see/drive.

IN some ways I'd prefer a convertible sedan of the mid-late 1930s vintage, but have concerns about how well the top would work in such a rainy climate we have here. And my sense is such models tend to be more rare/more $$s.

Again, appreciate the insights (and patience).

Daren

Posted on: 2018/12/20 16:54
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

W. Fred Rump
See User information
The car is now on my horizon. The seller seems to be honest and wants to finally sell the car. I offered 40K and he accepted that. To me the car looks like a #2 or very close to it with only a couple of paint chips in the front.

What has me puzzled is the LUXURY part of the name. Was there such a car in the 120B line in 1936? The doors are suicide types which I don't see on other 120 sedans so something is different.

The car is now in Utah and a bit far for me to inspect in person but I do see the pictures.

When I check the model numbers for 1936 I don't see a picture that looks like the model being sold with side mounted spare tires but these do show up in the 140 line. I'm really confused.

Posted on: 2019/8/7 19:37
1937 Packard Super Eight Convertible, model 1502 in Blue
1948 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible 22nd series - Maroon, Body 2279
1949 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible 22nd series - green
1949 Packard Super Eight Victoria Convertible 22nd series - black
1949 Oldsmobile
1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible Coupe
1993 Bentley Brooklands Sedan
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved