Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 129

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Wilwood Master Cylinder Conversion
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54Les
See User information
Thanx again, I'll research the remote fill kit.

Don, what were the symptoms leading up to your Treadlevac failure? I drove mine into the garage and all seemed fine. A few days later, when I started the car, there was a cloud of whitish smoke then no brakes.

Posted on: 2019/1/11 14:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The white smoke is the main symptom but in the case it my cars it was purely from disuse. Both my 1953 Clipper Deluxe and my 1953 Patrician had been parked for many years. I never actually had one fail on the car during use.

Posted on: 2019/1/11 15:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Ross Miller is right in your area.. I would use him...

He did mine no problems...... And has a rebuild ed strain did.... That...that is the first tv that I lost brakes..waiiting for results..but I am not in a hurry..it will be a spare..

Posted on: 2019/1/11 18:59
Riki
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54Les
See User information
Thanx again. I did some more research on the Wilwood site. They offer a remote fill kits with an adapter cap. One of them had 7/16-20 threads on the adapter:

https://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinders/MasterCylinderProdAcc?itemno=260-8742

Does anyone know the the thread & diameter of the Treadlevac cap? Perhaps it would be an easy (never happen) way to get remote fill.

Posted on: 2019/1/16 12:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The threads on the BTV cap are 1 1/4-18.

Most BTV caps have enough meat in the center where the wrench square is protruding that if you cannot find a modern adapter in the thread size you can drill and tap the original cap for a 1/8 NPT brass fitting. The Wilwood fitting might work but 7/16 is slightly larger to the hole needed for 1/8 pipe. If the Wilwood fitting is too large you could use a regular 1/8 brass fitting in whatever type is needed to attach the line from the remote fill assy.

The original caps usually have a small vent hole visible on one of the square sides but on some caps it is sort of hidden. You would also need to make sure the vent hole in the original is plugged if the cap is converted for remote fill use.

EDIT: I vaguely recall the BTV cap being discussed some time back in another thread. If I'm remembering, someone posted a link to a place that had the right size replacement caps. Perhaps if the person who posted the link sees this he will remember the thread or post the link again.

Posted on: 2019/1/16 14:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
If memory severs me correctly, the TV was used on many 'toe-board' applications . . . and some manufactures designed a generous fill tube, with dipstick, to aid in the master cylinder servicing. Perhaps this scheme would better serve your needs . . . . not much different than a modern day automatic transmission fill tube. The actual fluid level remains the same, but your ability to check the level is enhanced.

dp

Posted on: 2019/1/17 21:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
So our little 'show and shine' Saturday night car show turns into a real zoo on the two weekends that the auctions are in town. Lots of cars that we haven't seen before show-up . . . one of which was a '57 Oldsmobile 4 door hardtop. I specifically looked to see if it had power brakes ( it did ), so I asked the owner if it was a Bendix unit and did it have a dip-stick. Nothing but a blank stare, but he did open the hood and let me look and take a few photographs.

The Bendix TV reservoir cover plate is a simple sheet metal stamping with provisions to thread-in a 'filler cap'. I suspect there were no more than a few thread diameters and pitches for these caps, and as the attached photos show, some manufactures did not provide a cap at all, but used a dip-stick equipped cover plate. The upper end of the dip stick tube would be the location were 'make-up' fluid was added. The longer the tube the easier access from above.

The master cylinder housing was optimized for a toe-board mounting where the nose of the cylinder is pointing downward. In these applications the reservoir open end would be level, thus a flat plate would seal the reservoir. I have seen the Bendix units mounted horizontally ('55 Chevrolet to name one) with a wedged shaped reservoir adaptor mounted between the casting and the flat cover plate. The wedge shaped piece restores the 'level' state of the upper end of the reservoir.

Since the compensator valve is essentially at the center line of the reservoir, and the dip-stick better not interfere with this valve, then the dip-stick should be biased to the edge of the reservoir housing, and not protrude too far into the fluid. I guess we're not trying to determine if we're a quart low, just if the brake fluid level is within ? inch or so from the top.

See attached photos.

dp

Attach file:

jpg  (44.69 KB)
34287_5c45432f70024.jpg 768X576 px

jpg  (316.07 KB)
34287_5c45434b1024e.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2019/1/20 22:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Thanks DavidPackard for the pictures. I have 2 1953 Packard's with the BTV. I'm pretty proficient with a funnel, length of hose and pour the BF until I see it dripping on the floor. The contortion of hand and fingers getting the cap back in place (from above) has left me wanting some solution for adding brake fluid. The location of the MC filler cap is directly under the steering column along with the gear selector rod alongside the column, please keep us posted about other solutions you come across. The Wilwood MC solution is doable but I'm holding out to see if an easier/different solution is discovered. Thanks again.
Regards,
Steve

Posted on: 2019/1/21 11:26
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54Les
See User information
Thanks for all the research. I've decided to have my Treadlevac rebuilt and save the remote fill adapter as a future project. The Wilwood kit that I included a link to in a previous post had what looked like a screw in adapter for the fill tube. So, I'm going to try to source a spare filler cap and see if it could be modified to accept the adapter.

Posted on: 2019/1/21 11:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
There was a posting from not too long ago that showed a source for new caps but unfortunately I cannot locate it now that I want it! Maybe you'll be more successful.

Posted on: 2019/1/21 12:48
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved