Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 143

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Windshield wiper trouble
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
I recently purchased a '56 Clipper Super, that had the vacuum lines for the wipers and washers disconnected. My shop manual has the schematic for the vacuum motor, but does not show the washer (which is the electric model). Now the problem, after installing new vacuum lines and connecting everything according to the schematic, I have wipers that go up. Just up. They don't even go down when turned off. By the way the washers don't work either. Also, the the vacuum motor has one nipple that isn't shown in the manual.

Anyone have a suggestions on repairs and where I might find a schematic for the washers?

Posted on: 2007/8/14 0:47
 Top  Print 

Re: Windshield wiper trouble
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If the "extra nipple" you're referring to is brass or copper, very small diameter, about 1/2 inch long, at about the center of the motor and facing the driver's side, it's an air vent, not a location for a connection. Perhaps someone else will be able to help you with the balance of the problem as I've never had problems with the wipers. If it appears the motor itself needs service, I highly recommend Ficken wiper service, they've been in this business for decades and provide excellent service. They are a Hemmings advertiser.

Posted on: 2007/8/14 8:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The 55-56 PARTS Manual shows the layout of the hoses and controls. I believe the parts manual is online in this venue and you could print off that page.

Posted on: 2007/8/14 13:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
OR, you could just buy a '55-'57 Chevy wiper motor and be done with it. It bolts on, uses the stock Packard switch, and looks totally stock to 99% of the people at shows. I have one on my car, and it works 100 times better than the vacuum one. Oh, and the wiper coordinator fits it, too.

Posted on: 2007/8/14 13:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
fredrickr -

The 1955-56 parts book is not available here (yet). I have an original, but will not have time to scan and upload to BigKev until later this fall (gotta make hay while the sunshines).

Wipers are covered in the Instruments section of the service manual, which can be downloaded here (it's free), and there is a schematic of the vacuum hoses. The washer system was an option on Clippers and available as kit for dealer-installation; as such, they are covered in the Accessory section of the service manual, also downloadable.

However, 1956 models with pushbutton transmission control had the washer pump relocated to the right side cowl area. I don't have a copy within reach, but the parts book may provide a better illustration of the hose routing.

While the washer pump uses an electric switch, that merely energizes a small solenoid that opens a passage to apply vacuum to move a large piston/plunger down in the jar. When you release the button, spring tension pushes the plunger back down and internal valving directs the fluid to the washer nozzles on the wiper pivots.

As such, if you have a vacuum leak in the network of hoses or the vacuum motor, the washers won't work.

Hope this helps get you started in the right direction.

Posted on: 2007/8/15 11:10
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
Hey guys:

Thanks for all the suggestions. After checking out the shop manual online, I've noticed that I'm missing a few (a few, yeah right) pages out of my original. Guess I'll have to break down and buy a reprint. That'll be easier than trying to stick my laptop under the hood! I did get a new vacuum tester today and checked the vacuum levels on both lines. On the intake manifold, I get a steady 18 in at idle and on the oil pump vacuum it swings back and forth between 0 an 13. So I guess after the Woodward Dream Cruise this Saturday I'm pulling the motor and sending it in to Fickens. BTW, Fickens has a link to Trico's Washer troubleshooting guide. Gonna run through that checklist tomorrow. Might have to have the rebuild the pump as it hadn't had any liquid in it for several years and things probably dried out.

Posted on: 2007/8/16 23:37
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
What should the vacuum pressure be on the oil pump? The shop manual says 10 in. But when I test the vacuum, the pressure fluctuates wildly between 0 and 13 in. Is this normal, or am I looking at replacing the oil pump?

Posted on: 2007/8/24 10:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The vacuum pump is a separate entity from the oil pump, though they share a common drive system. So even if the vacuum pump needed repair or replacement, it doesn't necessarily follow that you need to replace the oil pump. BTW, did you check the vacuum check valve on the side of the block for a sticking or chattering valve?

Posted on: 2007/8/24 22:26
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved