Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 89

r1lark, Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 Club Coupe Instrument Light Knob
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
The instrument light knob on my 1941 Club Coupe comes off when I try to turn on (pull) the switch knob. I have the knob, but can't see how it grips the switch shaft. Anyone have any knowledge of this? Maybe need a new one? It is rectangular shape and looks like pot metal, but is painted cream, like all the other knobs. There is some sort of metal clip which slides over the switch shaft (with a flat on top of the shaft) but it doesn't clamp onto the shaft.

Posted on: 2019/2/16 3:08
1941 120 Club Coupe (SOLD)
1956 Clipper Deluxe (RHD and auto) - for the wife, or so I told her!
 Top  Print 

Re: 1941 Club Coupe Instrument Light Knob
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi B. Wilson,
Not sure if it is the same as my '39, but the 'instrument light switch' on my dash is on a rheostat and turns to brighten and dim the dash lights. Is it possible you should be twisting it rather than pulling it?? Then only a friction fit on the shaft would be required. Chris

Posted on: 2019/2/16 13:50
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am curious about the pot metal use. Clippers had pot metal knobs held on with setscrews but thought all the regular or conventional body 41 knobs such as those the head light and instrument lamp switch would have used were plastic like the repro knobs Lavine sells. Believe some were molded onto a knurled area of the shaft and shaft and knob come off as an assy while others notably the OD or EC might have been threaded or held onto the shaft with a setscrew. Did conventional body 41s have an option other than the square plastic knobs or is there perhaps a different switch being used?

Posted on: 2019/2/16 14:59
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Good question. I was wondering the same thing. The switch is definitely a push/pull and fairly stiff. Possibly from lack of use. It appears to be a late '41 build. Perhaps they were using Clipper knobs by then? Or maybe they were changed later. They are painted cream and look like plastic. They are the rectangular shape. Maybe I should just put something on the shaft to stop the knob falling off, and stop fiddling with it. I rarely - if ever - use the instrument lights. The other knobs are all the same, and work fine.

Thanks for the replies.

Posted on: 2019/2/18 1:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brian Wilson
See User information
Chris it's definitely a push/pull switch, but may be incorrect. I would have expected a rheostat.

Posted on: 2019/2/18 1:46
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In the 1941/42 traditional-bodied Packards the instrument light switch is a push/pull and controls the instrument illumination in 4 steps. Knobs are plastic, rectangular, and color-keyed to the interior.

Posted on: 2019/2/18 10:30
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the knob is pot metal what are the chances of drilling and tapping for a setscrew on the underside of the knob where a setscrew would be out of sight. If that is not feasible and the switch is an original, unless the shaft is damaged being the reason a non stock potmetal knob was used, what about a repro knob from Lavine.https://classiccarreproductions.com/product/dash-knob-1941-42-with-metal-inserts/

Posted on: 2019/2/18 11:00
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Further to Howard's point, if the knob is such that drilling & tapping isn't feasible, could a roll pin work? One wouldn't have to drill through both sides of the knob, just the underside and the pin could be cut to fit.

Posted on: 2019/2/18 12:40
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved