Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 151

53 Cavalier, Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1938 Super Eight for sale
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jameson
See User information
I am looking to purchase a '38 Super Eight sedan and have a question or two. I know it's a fairly different animal than my '47 Super Eight, engine-wise, but are there any specific things that I should be aware of? Someone told me years ago that engine blocks and/or heads can be delicate and are prone to cracking, along with rear ends that tend to be geared too low for modern driving (my current Packard has overdrive and can cruise all day at 70 with ease). I've always loved the styling of this year and am seriously considering putting one in my garage after many years of looking. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Auggie

Posted on: 2019/3/3 14:23
1947 Custom Supper Clipper 2106
 Top  Print 

Re: 1938 Super Eight for sale
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

scott12180
See User information
I share your love for the '38 Super 8 and Twelve styling. Just works for me.

I owned a '38 Super Eight for a few years and can attest, as can others, that the engine blocks are indeed prone to cracking. Especially now that they are 80 years old, if a block is not cracked yet, there's a good chance that when you start driving it, it will crack. And repairs seem to be next to impossible. (Of course anything is possible with a bottomless checkbook. You could cast new blocks !)

Two suggestions:
If you find a nice Super 8, you should immediately start looking for a '37 or '39 cylinder block because you will need it someday. And if you rebuild the engine, it will do no good to rebuild the '38 cylinder block because all the money you spend would be thrown away when it cracks later on. Rebuild a '37 or '39. Both blocks may just bolt on to the existing crankcase with minor alterations. Perhaps others can speak more authoritatively.

The other suggestion is to find a Twelve. They also have their share of problems namely that the cylinder heads being of aluminum are prone to corrosion failure. But there are new heads available. You should buy two heads ($5000+) if they are available because, again, you will need them someday.

Best of luck finding a car. There are a few on the market, both Eights and Twelves.

And yes, gearing is slow. High speed gears were available, but I don't know if anyone is making them anymore. I've no idea if an overdrive would fit but that would be your best option with an Eight as these are heavy cars. Unless you live in Nebraska where the terrain is flat as a floor.

-- Luke

Posted on: 2019/3/4 8:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
This '38 Super Eight 1603 touring sedan has been for sale on CL for a few years. It might be worth your while to investigate it. Good luck in your search.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/d/1938-packard-st-louis-50-year-owner/6813830417.html

Steve

Posted on: 2019/3/4 9:12
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jameson
See User information
Thanks for all the advice, gentlemen. What I probably need to do is fly out to see the car in person, and then do an assessment. The seller did send me a video of driving in a parking lot but I need a slightly longer clip to see the car perform in all of the gears -- there's a strange noise coming from the transmission while in first gear that does not sound like the typical "whine" and it's a little worrying. Facing a possible engine and/or transmission rebuild is not what I want to sign up for the first time I back it out of my garage.

Posted on: 2019/3/4 9:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Something i picked up years ago from a '37 owner is the '37 su8 block was a cracker and PACKARD fixed the problem in the '38s. Also stated there was replacement no charge program by PACKARD if a '37 block cracked. Never did follow thru. Was this a bunch of BS ?????????? Not that PACKARD owners BS.

Posted on: 2019/3/4 10:22
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
...the transmission while in first gear that does not sound like the typical "whine"...

Spur gears gone since 1932, that transmission should be essentially silent in all forward gears.

Posted on: 2019/3/4 11:16
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jameson
See User information
After some further investigations and a very strong suspicion about this car, I came to the conclusion that it is very likely a rather infamous '38 Packard from Central Florida that I was warned about several years ago. There was one photo of the dash that gave it away and I remembered a small spot on a glove box door that leads me to believe that this is the same '38 Super 8 that had a bad history of deferred maintenance and a rash of other rather expensive problems. I am not only walking away from this deal, but am not even walking towards it any longer so it looks like I'll be staring at the road through the windshield of my current Packard for the time being. Thank you all again for your responses.

Auggie

Posted on: 2019/3/4 20:34
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

scott12180
See User information
You also need to wonder why the car has been for sale for so very long. Yes, the price isn't attractive but if it were a good car you would think someone would step up.

Once upon a time I went to look at a 1934 in Savannah Georgia. Looked great in the photos but when I got to see and drive the car, it felt all worn out. The odometer really must have rolled, and the owner who was rather proud of the car (or trying to pretend to be) showed me a very thick notebook of everything done to it. Well. . . . if it really was a good car, why did it need so very much work? Why did literally every part of the car need attention at some point.

Caveat Emptor !

Posted on: 2019/3/6 9:41
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Jim/KB1MCV
See User information
Good luck with your quest.
I would suggest trawling this site , the PAC site and the AACA site.
I also would suggest contact the Flackmaster, he seems to be a respected source of information. He was a tremendous help to me locating another engine for my 39 S-8.
Be aware there is more than one 38 S-8 for sale "with cylinder head removed for inspection of block".
Dave Coco in Virginia is in the process (maybe finished by now) of repairing his 38 S-8 Conv. He posts on the AACA site as 'trimacar'. He could be a source of information.
Again, all the best.
Jim/KB1MCV

Posted on: 2019/3/7 17:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Theres a 1938 super eight on hemmings that wouldn't break the bank:
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/packard/super-8/2233061.html

Posted on: 2019/3/9 15:33
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved