Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 168

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Overdrive on 1925 Packard
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

scott12180
See User information
Curiosity question ---
Has anyone put an overdrive onto a first or second series Packard Eight --- 1924, 25 or 26 --- which has the torque arm?

Long time ago I owned a '26 236 Phaeton and added a Mitchell overdrive. But that car did not have the torque arm. By midway into the second series they had switched to just Hotchkiss drive, which is drive through the springs.

I've wondered if there is room enough to add an overdrive, either Mitchell or something else, on one of these earlier cars. From the factory, they are all geared very slow, like 4.69. (Except the Sport, of course).

Thanks -- Luke

Posted on: 2019/5/25 9:05
 Top  Print 

Re: Overdrive on 1925 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I see on the Mitchell website they list an overdrive for open drive shaft cars of the 1920's and 30's. I'd contact them and see what is available.
John

Posted on: 2019/5/26 8:04
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

scott12180
See User information
Yes, Thank you.

I've had Mitchells on two Packards over the years. They are an option but very noisy. Perhaps on an open car with the top down they are OK, but not in a closed car.

My concern is the space available with the torque arm a few inches from the drive shaft. Perhaps the torque arm makes a convenient place to mount an overdrive. . . I don't know.

There is an early Packard available that I'm interested in, but with its stump-puller gearing and not knowing if an overdrive is possible, it gives me pause.

So just wondering if anyone out there has done it.

-- Luke

Posted on: 2019/5/29 7:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Gear Vendors is a quiet reliable unit, and torque tube applications have been done.

https://www.gearvendors.com/restorationclassic.html

Post showing installation on a '32:

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=13117&forum=1&post_id=145259#forumpost145259

Posted on: 2019/6/2 16:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon all...We have had a Mitchell Overdrive in our 1931 Model A Ford for 14 years and it is totally quiet. If your experience is prior to 2005 or so, perhaps the newer ones are quieter than the ones you had. Gear Venders is also a great unit...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2019/6/2 19:04
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved