Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 carburetor rebuild - Super 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
How hard is it to rebuild a 1940 Super 8 carb? (assuming a fair mechanical ability)

Thanks

Posted on: 2019/6/30 20:38
 Top  Print 

Re: 1940 carburetor rebuild - Super 8
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
When I looked at the instructions for rebuilding my Carter carburetor on my 47 it appeared that one needed a lot of tools which were graduated to minuscule small diameters. I did not want to buy a set of these micro tools so I just sent mine to Daytona carburetor and they did a great job.
Frankly, I don't see how a home mechanic can rebuild a carburetor correctly after reading those instructions. But, I am one of those people that knows just enough to be dangerous.

Posted on: 2019/7/1 15:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I agree, some specialized tool are necessary to overhaul a carburetor correctly. Substitutes for these with common tools can be used sometimes. There is a difference between overhauling and rebuilding which Daytona did. I believe they are no longer in the carburetor rebuilding business; however, I understand they are still supplying overhaul kits. JWL

Posted on: 2019/7/1 16:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Daytona is still rebuilding carburetors, but are no longer doing the external cosmetics to OEM appearance.

Posted on: 2019/7/1 18:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Daytona is still rebuilding carburetors, but are no longer doing the external cosmetics to OEM appearance.

Thanks for the clarification. Good to know they are still in the rebuilding business. JWL

Posted on: 2019/7/2 11:37
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Folks:

Thanks. I now have several contacts and have reached out to each of them.

I appreciate your suggestions and guidance.

Gar

Posted on: 2019/7/2 13:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Daytona did an excellent job rebuilding my Stromberg AAV-26 1940 160 carburetor, but only after it was returned because the float level was not set. The pain and suffering that resulted is documented beginning at post #714
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5878&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=710
and goes on for several pages.

We had waited a few months for the rebuild. We installed it and started having problems. We went on an Easter egg hunt because they have an excellent reputation for doing a thorough job, so we Assumed Daytona had done a perfect job, so we replaced other aspects of the fuel system without being able to correct the issue (shown in a video at post #737), until we removed the Stromberg and put the old, beat-up Carter back on, after which the problem stopped. Everyone makes mistakes, so never assume.

We shipped the Stromberg back to Daytona who inspected it and apologized for not setting the float level correctly and the carburetor has performed beautifully ever since.

This issue is in the past, but I guess you can tell it still exists in the room I keep of unpleasant experiences. Just kindly remind them to set the float level.

Posted on: 2019/7/3 7:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Also a note to having it sent out, is that if you're missing the brass tag a good rebuilder will replace the missing tag.
Wes

Posted on: 2019/7/5 18:50
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved