Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 132

BigKev, bkazmer, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Paint colour/color opinions
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I posted a couple pictures of a two-tone '47 that was at the Concours in the photo gallery.

Posted on: 2009/2/1 2:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
the second series of colors replaced the first 3. The only point I would make, having seen a low mileage original Egyptian Sand car, is that it is a grayish putty color, not the yellowish beige that your car appears to be. I've seen the blue, green and brown top colors still around(and a lot of non-authentic combinations too). The color divide in the rear is different on club sedans - the deck lid is the top color.

Posted on: 2009/2/2 22:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Thanks for all the ideas thus far.

Still cant make up my mind!

These days I am thinking of a dark burgandy/Maroon. I am not sure if it is metallic or not. I dont want to do a metallic as I was advised not to as this is my first spray job! Also to stay away from dark colours, but now I am beginning to think that I might as well take the plunge and get a color I will like, something like dark blue or burgandy.

I think the bathtubs look better in darker colors.

I have to decide soon as the prep work are progressing nicely.

One of these colors is my favorite now:

Attach file:

jpg  (65.77 KB)
484_498847b443c59.jpg 614X461 px

jpg  (40.76 KB)
484_498847c1cfd0a.jpg 500X375 px

Posted on: 2009/2/3 8:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Either would be very nice. I am partial to the maroon but think there are prettier shades out than the stock Packard ones. The Bikini blue Kev is painting his car is similar to the one shown & also very nice.

Posted on: 2009/2/3 8:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

africapackard
See User information
Hi guys!

Saw this posted this morning and this is the color I want. Anybody has an idea what it might be called and if it even was a Packard color?

Attach file:

jpg  (38.04 KB)
484_498944009209a.jpg 512X339 px

Posted on: 2009/2/4 2:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I think it would look better if you paint it like this Ferrari Enzo:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2009/2/4 2:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You might want to go over to the PAC website and view the paint chips for your year, but really, this is an exercise in some futility, as is trying to match a color by looking at a scanned photograph or digital image thru a color monitor, and in the case of the paint chips add in their degradation from age as well.

If you're committed to a color and don't care whether its stock or not, it's really easy. Take something in the color you want and either have it scanned and matched by a good paint shop, or use something like the Sikkins system to get a current paint #. If the color appeared on a car, borrow a fender skirt or gas tank filler door for matching.

Matching an original color by matching that of a repainted car is also questionable as you don't know how well that owner did his match. It's not failsafe but matching an original color by scanning or matching from an original unrepainted car could yield good results though the piece you match from should be compounded and polished to try to get it back to a fresh surface. Or use something that was protected from sunlight, for example often the wheel of the spare tire in trunk had a plain black hub cap over it, and the paint beneath it is about the best preserved original paint you'll likely find. Inside door jambs also a possibility depending on condition.

I believe you expressed a preference for a maroon earlier (or was that someone else)? There were two maroons for the 22nd series, the earlier Cavalier Maroon was replaced during the production run with Grenadier Maroon which was just a bit darker.

Posted on: 2009/2/4 9:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
As O_D says it's almost impossible to do any matching based on photos/chips/computer monitors but I'd guess that color is closest to 22nd series Packard Ivory although it could possibly be Arizona Beige.

Looking at the 'correct' chips for the 23rd series, there is nothing close. The lightest color would be Maumee Maize which is definitely yellowish.

Color preference is a really personal thing, but I think the 22nd-23rd series Packards look best in dark colors. Just my

I wonder what the internal temperature difference would be between a Packard Blue and a Packard Ivory car both left out in the South African Sun for a couple of hours with the windows closed? I bet both would be uncomfortable.

Posted on: 2009/2/4 10:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can't speak to South Africa, but can tell you in central Calif with 100+ degrees common, the difference between a light and dark minivan is significant. Never measured it & you're right, they are both hot. Can speak from experience though not to leave cans of aerosol unprotected in the dark one but at least there was no damage in that learning experience. Would imagine it gets rather warm in your location also.

Posted on: 2009/2/4 10:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I think the photo is Egyptian Sand, but lighting of a photo can make identificatio tricky.

I agree -Do NOT use the printed pages of Packard colors or old formulae as color standards. Not accurate at all. The advice on using an unexposed area of an original car is excellent. Often the underside of a deck lid or under a trim piece that was masked during respray gives a good standard.

Posted on: 2009/2/4 11:59
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved